1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Creator of subprime loans passes away

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Mar 18, 2008.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

It's the quintessential American success story. Create a morally bankrupt product, make multiple millions, get chased by attorney generals, then become ambassador to the Netherlands, with the blessing of the U.S. Senate.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/laland/2008/03/ameriquest-foun.html#comments
    [​IMG]

Rot In Hell, you piece of human garbage.

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I'd be smiling too if I found out I was going to live in the Netherlands. If Hillary becomes prez, I know a certain recent ex-gov who will seek that gig.

3. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Heaven needed a three-bedroom ranch with a low monthly payment even though it has shaky credit.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Good career move.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Schadenfreude rears its ugly head.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

My favorite "schadenfreude" story is somewhat similar. A while back in Florida, not far from where I lived, a guy was killed by a shark while taking a dip off the back porch of his house, which sat on a busy channel. Pretty nice house, actually. How did he get it? He was a loan shark.

7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Forgive my ignorance, but since I'm so far away from buying a house it'll take a Lewis and Clark expedition to put me on the same continent, but what is a subprime loan?

I know it's been largely blamed for the current downturn in the housing market, but I've never bothered to read up on what exactly it is.

8. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

A subprime loan is a loan given to an individual that doesn't have very good credit. It is a high risk loan.

9. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Minor point, but I think the plural of "attorney general" is "attorneys general."

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

I'll cry on my pillow, tonight.

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

The subprime loan is the reason why our country is teetering on economic collapse.

In the past, if your family made $3,000 per month take home, no one in their right mind would give you a mortgage that cost $1,750 per month. Well, for the past 6-7 years they have been doing just that.

On top of that, after six years or so your $1,750 payment will balloon to $2,500, but you are told by the slimy crooks (subprime mortgage agents) that everything will be fine in six years when your payment goes up. You will just refinance or sell the home at a big profit.

It was all complete BS.

I bought my first home in 2002, and thank God I went to a mortgage agent who I could trust and wouldn't even deal in these subprime loans.

The devil of all of this is that even the wealthy are getting their asses kicked by the subprime. If someone takes home $10,000 per month, they were loading up on $8,000 mortgages. They are bottoming out as well.

No one, rich or poor, is safe from this if you were stupid enough to get a subprime loan.

Also, the amount they were approving you for was getting out of hand. My wife and I only used about 60 percent of what we were approved for, and if we had any new expenses, like a daughter, we would be drowning financially if we used 100 percent of what we were approved for.

Bush should be in jail for what he has done to this country.

12. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

It's Bush's fault people with shitty credit took out mortgages they couldn't afford? At some point, if people can't afford to pay your Sears Card, people should realize they shouldn't buy a $300K home. Greed took over when property values jumped. The average schmuck thought they could flip a home in a year or two and make money. They gambled and lost.

Actually in today's market, these shitty subprime mortgages should be dropping because the one year Libor has dropped so much in the last 6 months.

Draft saved Draft deleted