1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

creative writing

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by LemMan, Dec 25, 2006.

1. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

Non-fiction, or memoir, writing is by far the most popular "creative writing" around. it's a lot easier to get published that way than by fiction.

2. Crimson Tide

Crimson Tide Member

http://writerswrite.com/

Nice little site with a job board, supposedly.

I took creative writing as a minor in college with the hopes of doing those creative non-fiction things later on. I've had so many published writers tell me that the easiest way to get stories published is exactly what we're doing: writing for newspapers. I knew a few who started out with that and got recognized and picked up a book contract.

Then again, and I write this in all seriousness, I always apply to WWE creative jobs. Haven't heard back yet, but I keep on keepin' on.

3. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

If you're interested in getting published, having a postgraduate degree in creative writing can help. I used to live in a town that had a reputation as a (cringe) artists' colony. Several folks there had been published. They had creative writing degrees. Their writing was astoundingly bad. I'm presuming networking was a factor.

4. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

Expense accounts

5. jambalaya

jambalaya Member

Seriously, did one of your professors or adjuncts just tell you this?

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I took a creative writing class in college. I wrote a poem and the prof (a sweet old lady) told me, "You better stick to stories."

7. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Yep. The $28 dinner. (We need receipts over $30)

8. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

You can make decent money writing cards at Hallmark.

9. In Exile

In Exile Member

I was a creative writing major - best thing I ever could have done. But I didn't do that to get a job. I did it to learn to write, student loan debt be damned. I never took a journalism class after high school. Poetry and fiction workshops taught me about tone, pace and sound, three things rarely talked about in journalism, and there's nothing quite like sitting around and hav a dozen people tear apart one paragraph for two hours. But in the end I could write in different sizes, and styles, which many journalists can't. I sold the first (non-fiction) story I ever wrote, discovered I was way ahead of the game, and have never looked back - magazines, newspapers, books, features, columns, profiles and yep, poems. That was twenty years ago.

Anything that teaches you anything about writing is a plus, and you should read as much fiction and poetry as journalism. Now get back to class.

Draft saved Draft deleted