1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Creative Writers Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by valpo87, May 30, 2009.

1. valpo87

valpo87 Guest

Does anybody else on here write creatively? Short stories, creative nonfiction, etc.?

2. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

When I feel like yes. My worthless college degree is in creative writing.

3. HC

HC Well-Known Member

This is the world's dumbest reply but I've always wanted to. I'm good with words in conversation. I just don't know how to start.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

Christ, you poor bastard.

5. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Hey, it could be worse. He could have a Music degree.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

Ha! Good point.

No wonder you hang out with us. You GET us. :D

7. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

You too huh?

8. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Oh yeah, baby. Masters of Music.

9. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Eh, I'm just a Musical bachelor.

10. HC

HC Well-Known Member

But now you're a writer? (and I wish I was one). Go figure. :D

11. AMacIsaac

AMacIsaac Guest

Hey, my sister-in-law has a music degree. Of course, she also has an education degree ... so now she's a teacher ... of music.

Eh.

HC, just write. It doesn't have to be brilliant. It doesn't matter if anyone ever reads it. Empty your soul onto a piece of paper or your screen, learn what you have to say, and just write. Oftentimes, it's more important to write for yourself than for others.

12. To play devil's advocate ... I completely disagree. I've dabbled in a little of this - submitted a short story to a few mags a couple years ago and was (rightfully) rejected across the board. I'll give it another go - I've studied the art of storytelling pretty fiercely, and use a lot of it in my narrative nonfiction.

All of that being said, I write because I want people to read it. I guess in some way I write for myself, only because it's like breathing to me. But the idea that it doesn't matter if anybody reads it? Forgive my French - but fuck that. Write to be read.

Draft saved Draft deleted