1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Creationism vs. Evolution

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BRoth, Jul 31, 2007.

1. BRoth

BRoth Member

So I'm working on an article for my paper about an upcoming three-part series being hosted at a local church. They're bringing in some former scientist who now believes in creation. After doing a few interviews, I'm interested in everyone's take on this whole "debate" thing.

I have no problem with people believing in whatever they want to. But, I guess I'm one of those old school "scientific method" and "scientific fact" kind of guys ... just a stick in the mud when it comes to evolution.

This really does seem to be an actual point of contention in politics, but I really don't know why people care so much or get so upset about this whole "evolution" thing. What does everyone else think about this stuff?

2. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

Where's the poll function when we need it? :)

3. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

The world was created 5,000 years ago. The Bible says so. Fuck science.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

There is no "debate"

I think Charles Pierce sums it up best in his brilliant 2005 Esquire article, "Greetings from Idiot America".

http://www.esquire.com/features/ESQ0207GREETINGS

The country was founded by people who were fundamentally curious; Thomas Jefferson and Benjamin Franklin, to name only the most obvious examples, were inveterate tinkerers. (Before dispatching Lewis and Clark into the Louisiana Territory, Jefferson insisted that the pair categorize as many new plant and animal species as they found. Considering they were also mapping everything from Missouri to Oregon, this must have been a considerable pain in the canoe.) Further, they assumed that their posterity would feel much the same as they did; in 1815, appealing to Congress to fund the building of a national university, James Madison called for the development of "a nursery of enlightened preceptors."

It is a long way from that to the moment on February 18, 2004, when sixty-two scientists, including a clutch of Nobel laureates, released a report accusing the incumbent administration of manipulating science for political ends. It is a long way from Jefferson's observatory and Franklin's kite to George W. Bush, in an interview in 2005, suggesting that intelligent design be taught alongside the theory of evolution in the nation's science classes. "Both sides ought to be properly taught," said the president, "so people can understand what the debate is about."

5. pallister

pallister Guest

Funny you bold that passage, JR. You, CP and Bush have more in common than you think when it comes to "teaching" people about religion.

6. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

If one is creative, they can combine the two philosophies into one.
    Since the Bible doesn't specify a day as 24 hours, it's possible that one day was a few hundred or thousand years and God refined the animals and humans over time to the form they're in today. It's entirely possible that the Almighty's definition of a day is different from man's definition of a day.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

You're kidding me?

Did you actually read Pierce's article? Do you know what the issue is?

It's not a debate about religion, dumbass, it's about science.

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

It has NOTHING to do with "philosophies".

9. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I believe more or less in some sorta version of intelligent design. But I'd flip if that's what anyone tried to teach my kids. My compromise between religion and science is my thing. Not real science.

10. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Don't know why anyone would think the two are mutually exclusive. Obviously, many do.

11. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

You're right. Poor word choice on my part.

12. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Because certain people painted themselves into a corner when they used a literal interpretation of all of the bible as a basis for a political agenda.

How were they to know that people were going to take them seriously?

Draft saved Draft deleted