1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Creating Audio Clips

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HeinekenMan, Sep 17, 2007.

1. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

I've decided to monkey around with some of today's technologies. I hardly know where to begin. Poynter is offering a seminar on online content. It mentioned a program called Soundslides, which I've downloaded. The program apparently helps with the creation of slideshow presentations. So I'm attempting to create my first slideshow. There's an option that allows one to add audio to the slideshow. And that's where I am at the moment. I'm trying to figure out how to record my own MP3 sound byte. This is all new to me. Any suggestions?

Also, who would be interested in a new stickied thread on online media?
  2. G-Spot

G-Spot Member

Get Audacity..it's a free download... and a mic ($15 RadioShack) and get on it.

If you google audacity tutorial there is a very informative video out there on how to use it. You can put your voice, clips from coaches and players, music etc. on a track.
  3. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

I was going to say the same thing. Audacity is a good, FREE! program that is fairly intuitive and easy to learn. Get yourself an audio recorder that hooks up to the computer, dump your interviews on the computer and have at it.
  4. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

Thanks guys. I happened to Google it up, and it worked pretty well. The only catch is that it prefers to export MP3s using a decoder called LAME. I tried to download it, but I can't seem to figure out how to install it. The installer keeps appearing on my Mac as a text doc. So I just closed out of the program and dragged the audio file into iTunes, which did the encoding for me.

In any case, I created a slideshow with audio. Probably the only catch is that the photos are extremely pixelated, to the point that the imagines aren't visible as anything more than big squares. But that's just something I'm doing wrong, I suppose.

What I really liked about Soundslides was the ability to match audio with photos. For example, I can choose to speak about one particular photo for 10 seconds and make it so that that photo stays up for 10 seconds. Then I can choose to keep the second photo up for only five seconds to match just one 5-second part of my audio clip.

Now the trick will be taking my creation and loading it to a site as a test. I work with something called WordPress software, which is blogging software. I have to learn the ins and outs of the thing to do the work. I may have to send the files to an FTP before I can actually get this stuff running on the site.

Can anyone recommend other essential software programs for online editing and production? I started a thread like this once before, but it received almost no interest. Is this stuff over the heads of most folks? Surely there are a few sports guys at each paper and dozens of ESPN.com types who know about this stuff.
Draft saved Draft deleted