1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Create the US lineup vs. Italy here

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Almost_Famous, Jun 13, 2006.

1. John

John Well-Known Member

The AP story I just read referenced the Azzuri first, before calling the team Italy a couple of paragraphs later.

Does the casual reader have a clue who the Azzuri are? I know I wouldn't have known had I not heard the phrase a couple of times before.

2. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

Chinaglia
    Beckenbauer
    Eskandarian

3. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

See, I am not opposed to starting McBride. However, I don't think Reyna can play the D-Mid position. He's not fast enough, doesn't have the size nor is he a good enough tackler. They need Mastroeni out there for that.

Besides, should Reyna be bogged down with defensive responsibilities, he would become even less of a force in the attack.

I'm almost thinking that Reyna is not meant for this game. Maybe against Ghana, to control the flow; he just can't go against a very technical Italian team.

Play to the strengths of speed with Convey and Beasley on the wings. Put Mastroeni as D-Mid and Donovan as the A-mid. Then have McBride and Wolff up front.

4. part-timer

part-timer Member

In goal, Hatch.

5. Almost_Famous

Almost_Famous Active Member

Speaking of Alecko, was he even in the World Cup pool? Remember reading tons on this kid years ago, he was the next something or other.

And Arena is probably kicking himself for not bringing Adu to get some token burn against Ghana. Actually, Arena isn't kicking himself, because he thinks so highly of himself.

6. suburbanite

suburbanite Active Member

Agreed. Azzurri should not be first reference.

7. KP

KP Active Member

Would a more diamond look work better for the Yanks Saturday? Doug brought this up earlier. Reyna in the d-mid, Donovan the attacking mid (I think he had Dempsey, but I think he'll be out wide).

All I know is if they don't act like they want to be there it doesn't matter what formation God chooses to use it won't matter.

8. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

U.S.:
    Patton
    Bradley
    Eisenhower

Italy:
    Mussolini
    Ferrari
    Cicciolina

9. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

And there all battling in Germany!

10. Knighthawk

Knighthawk Member

You have to play Beasley. The US doesn't have enough skill to leave him on the bench. They just have to hope that was really Jamar playing against the Czechs, and that DaMarcus will return for this game. Also, it would be helpful to remove Jeff Agoos' brain from Onyewu's body.

GK: Friedel Keller
    DEF: Gooch, Pope, Bocanegra
    DM: O'Brien, Mastroeni
    CM: Reyna
    RW: DMB
    LW: Convey
    FW: Johnson, Donovan

You tell the five defenders to get the ball to Reyna, and you tell Reyna to pretend he's Steve Nash. From the time he gets the ball, someone should be shooting within 24 seconds, and everyone else should be crashing the goal mouth for a loose ball.

Eddie Johnson better be dead from exhaustion by the hour mark, at which point you bring in McBride and let him outjump the tired defenders.

11. KP

KP Active Member

Go with Dempsey on the right flank. DMB should only be used on the left.

12. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Agreed. Beasley is an utter liability on the right. His first touch isn't any better on the left, but at least that's his better foot.

Draft saved Draft deleted