1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Create the US lineup vs. Italy here

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Almost_Famous, Jun 13, 2006.

1. Almost_Famous

Almost_Famous Active Member

It'll be fun.

2. DougRoberson

DougRoberson Member

I've gotta start work soon, so this it for me about the US Soccer team.

I'm goinig to break ranks and go with a 4-1-2-1-2

Back Four are:
    mastroeni, gooch, pope, albright

CDM:
    Reyna

CAM:
    Dempsey

Wingers:
    Convey, Obrien

F:
    McBride, Johnson

Put Reyna in back to hopefully disrupt those long, through passes, Plus it forces him to pass the ball forward, and not side to side.

Give Dempsey some space and let him dribble.

3. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

GK: Keller
    Def: Cherundolo, Pope, Gooch, Bocanegra
    M: Dempsey, Donovan, O'Brien, Convey
    F: McBride, Johnson

4. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Beckenbauer

Platini

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Back Four are:
    Bugs Bunny,Bugs Bunny, Bugs Bunny, Bugs Bunny

CDM:
    Bugs Bunny

CAM:
    Bugs Bunny

Wingers:
    Bugs Bunny, Bugs Bunny

F:
    Bugs Bunny, Bugs Bunny

G:
    Bugs Bunny

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Probably best for the other thread but a question for those of you know appear to know things:  Is 0-3 the end of Arena?

7. Almost_Famous

Almost_Famous Active Member

Sorry bout that one, moddy.
    Can't imagine 0-3 meaning the end of Arena. There will be some talk of Klinsmann, but why? Arena was brilliant in 2002, and i think fans have to realize that besides just not playing well yesterday, the US was up against one of the favorites to win the cup. Now if the Czechs go out and get stomped by Ghana or Italy ...

But I'd say no. Not qualifying for 2010 would certainly do it, thought?

Did someone actually call for Chris Albright??

I agree with the consensus - slide Donovan back to midfield, make beasley a reserve, and get eddie johnson up front.

8. DougRoberson

DougRoberson Member

yeah, i put in albright. he's good down the wing, and can create offense. the us needs all the help on offense it can get.

9. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

No. Arena will only depart when he decides it is time to hang it up.

Of course, that could be after this World Cup. It won't be a result of getting fired.

10. suburbanite

suburbanite Active Member

I'd put LeBron at forward.

11. I would start Albright, he has the knack for getting forward.
    Get Dempsey on the field, move Donovan to attacking mid, so he create for EJ and McBride. I do believe that McBride will get the start

12. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Few coaches stay for two world Cups, much less beyond. He'll choose to hang it up, he's earned that.

At the same time, the US had its best results (LOVE that word) in history before the 1998 World Cup, with wins against Brazil (1-0) and Argentina (3-0), and a great qualifying campaign. Then a player revolt and some questionable tactics killed Steve Sampson after he had coached the team to those results.

Beasley has begun the player revolt. Arena made some moves yesterday . . . let's just say I was a little surprised he didn't try to maximize our speed and passing from the start, an attitude that helped the US ambush Portugal four years ago. Rather, he went with the predictable starting lineup that would dominate CONCACAF teams.

As for my view for who we SHOULD start (and a hearty F&%* You to heyabbott for his post):

Goalie: Though his big-game chops are questionable, Keller has earned it, and honestly Howard hasn't gotten a lot of time for Man United. So Keller

Defenders: Chris Albright (a deadly target man on free kicks, can help the attack, and also has the skill to defend), Oguchi (Agoos) Onyewu, Eddie Pope (can he go with the broken hand?), Carlos Bocanegra.

Midfield: Bobby Convey, John O'Brien, Claudio Reyna (leadership, discipline, passing), DaMarcus Beasley (give him a chance to STFU and redeem himself).

Forward: Josh Wolff, Landon Donovan. Let's pressure them from the start, both these guys are good at creating their own space for a shot.

I would definitely support a lineup that sat Beasley, put Donovan at advanced midfield playmaker (like Totti in Italy), and starts Wolff and McBride up front. Johnson is better off the bench as a speed guy. But then, I don't like starting McBride either.

Draft saved Draft deleted