1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Crazy Spring Break Stories

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by mustangj17, Mar 17, 2010.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Priorities, man.

2. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

standing on the corner in Winslow, Arizona.
    to enjoying San Diego and La Jola for two days and turning back around ...
    where were stopped half way across Texas for a greencard check. Where my buddy decides he wants to take a stand with the ICE officials and refuses to show his license for three requests. They checked everyone's IDs. Finally he gave in I mean we did have an exam we had to get back for.
    there were plenty of other little happenings that were hilarious in our eyes.
    forget florida or mexico. This was best spring break trip ever.
    I have always thought about recreating the trip and writing a book about the people I meet along the way.
    It was eye opening.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Probably. This was 20 years ago, and I am not sure I remember what we were thinking. I do remember us having little $$ and running out of money. And I also know that we were pretty adept in those days at getting drunk for little $$ -- often no $$. I also remember eating canned food and drinking cans of soda out of the trunk during that trip. That was our style. We would have loaded up on cheap food and eaten that way. And I am sure we spent most of what we had going to different spring training games (Phillies for him in Clearwater, Yankees for me in Ft. Lauderdale at the time). The idea of paying for lodging never would have occurred to us, and even if it did, I am sure we couldn't afford hotel or motel rooms and to have the kind of fun we wanted.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Considering all the stops, did y'all get there and immediately get on a bus headed back to Boston?

5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Worst spring break story ever.

6. RayKinsella

RayKinsella Member

If you can remember your spring break story, chances are it wasn't a "crazy" story to begin with.

7. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Not crazy, just funny.
    My buddies and I had fake IDs that said we were from Danby, Vt. We were doing Spring Break on the cheap down at a friend's grandparents condo on Marco Island. We decided if people asked, we were football players, which was realistic because we are pretty big guys - although I was in significantly better shape then.
    As the story went I was a quarterback who was transferring to Michigan to play quarterback. We told the story everywhere. Some guy called me out on it, saying I didn't look like quarterback, then my buddy came back "no, but he's got an arm like a fucking cannon." Another guy was a Mich. St. alum and talked about hating Michigan and bought us drinks. We were kind of celebrities on this night.
    Next day rolls around, we're hanging out on the beach, hungover with these girls from Indiana we met. I was tossing a football with one of them (she hadn't heard our fake story) and up walks a guy from the night before. He asks if I can throw a few passes. I gulp silentely and go for it. I wasn't worried, because I could throw a ball 50-55 yards at the time - not good, but good enough to fake someone out.
    I walked away about 10-15 yards - and the guy started running patterns. Going deep, post routes, curls, in routes - it was ridiculous. I was firing the ball as hard as I could and hitting him pretty good. After a few minute he stopped and said he wanted to make sure I wasn't BSing.
    I wonder to this day if he tells people he played catch with a D-I QB.

8. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Staying at a hotel that was a horseshoe shape, with a swimming pool in the middle. We were on the 5th floor. My friends were down at the pool kind of late one day and there weren't many there at all. In fact, they were the only ones in the pool itself and a few others were on the sides tanning.

The friends at the pool call us up in the room on our cells and tell us to bring beer down. We said we didn't want to go down there. Then we got the bright idea to drop cans of beer off our balcony 5 floors down into the pool. What could possibly go wrong?

My friend dropped the beer. Direct hit. Hit my other friend right on the side of the head (he was ducking and bracing for impact) Nice goose egg and cut on the side of his head. Probably a slight concussion but we didn't go to the hospital.

That's a mild story compared to others.

9. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

That is awesome.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

In Daytona Beach that's like a mosquito bite.

11. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Man, do I love this movie. Hit all of the Liquordale locations many, many times. Great times, back in the day.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

In Daytona Beach that's called "Monday".

Draft saved Draft deleted