1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Crazy prep parent of the day

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Trey Beamon, Sep 19, 2006.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I am reminded of perhaps the most obsessive father I have ever met.
    The dad, a state rep, lived his life through his daughter's softball pitching. He would send the school's beat writer an email several times a week, and during her junior year, claimed she had the state's single season record for strikeouts (not only was it not true, but the kid wasn't in the top 20). Of course, he would bitch that we didn't write about it.
    During her senior year, dad claimed she broke the all-time strikeout record -- also not true, also not written about.
    When she went to college at a MAC school -- the fighting horsies -- he would send us emails after every outing; embellishing facts like being chosen as the MAC player of the week, when she was a nominee for pitcher of the week.
    One day during her junior year, I noticed her bio in the Horsies press guide, claiming she was indeed the state's alltime strikeout leader. I let the SID staff know that it wasn't true and sent them not only her stats, but the state leaders.
    The next season when the guide came out, it was still there -- something that I lost a lot of respect for that staff about.
    The reason: "Oh, it was easier to deal with her dad because we didn't want to hear it if we changed it."
    Assclown (insert the same name as your favorite Comedy Central Daily Show host here.)

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Pretty smart parent if you ask me.

Someone should hire him as a reporter.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Now that's crazy.

4. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Crazy? How about the Dad who sharpened the screws on his kid's helmet so it cut the hands of would-be tacklers?

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

That's just good game preparation.

Draft saved Draft deleted