1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Crazy prep parent of the day

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Trey Beamon, Sep 19, 2006.

1. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Some people take high school sports a little too seriously...

http://www.postgazette.com/pg/06262/723003-365.stm

Two days before a star high school quarterback had a record-setting passing performance, his father posed as a college coach to gain admittance to the opponent's practice, and then filmed part of it.

Frank Colavecchia, whose son, Rocco, is a senior quarterback at Shenango High School in New Castle, could face disciplinary action from Shenango school officials for his actions Wednesday. Frank Colavecchia told Mars coach Scott Heinauer he was a coach from Ohio University and wanted to scout Mars quarterback D.J. Cannon.

2. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

Talk about cuckoo for your cocoa puffs! Sounds like the kind of guy that leaves those fun, profanity-laced voicemails on your phone, but yet does not leave a name or a number.

3. KP

KP Active Member

O-U!!!!!

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

That's not too crazy. Maybe over-the-top.

Crazy would be a parent who laced the other QB's Gatorade bottle with something or stabbed him in the leg in the parking lot.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

"Hi. I'm Charlie Weis."

:eek: :eek: ::) ::) :D :D

6. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Muahahahaha. Of all the schools to pretend to be from . . .

7. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

Anything to get an edge in future Journalism Bowls! :D

8. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

You wait . . . we'll win one one of these days!!!!!

9. NDub

NDub Guest

I have a golf dad who gives me a call about 4-5 times a week. Today he called three times but I was out of the office. He didn't leave a message. Thank God for both.

About two weeks ago, he flagged me down in the parking lot when I was just about to leave after covering the conference golf meet, which his daughter was in. She's a very good golfer, definitely all-area and probably golfer of the year when she's a senior next year. But the dude has also faxed in analysis/results, sent in pictures of her posing in the front yard with clubs, and has dropped some e-mails to make sure I know how well she shot or asking if I'm going out to her next golf match to cover it.

He's not crazy. But he's starting to get annoying.

Swim parents are wahoos around here, too. Man, oh, man. I covered a city dive and city swim meet this summer and got about 15 e-mails asking why I didn't cover Obsessed Dad's 8-year-old diver son. Sorry, paps, your son would fumble over three words after a stranger asks him a question and sticks a recorder in his face. It was pretty tough to cover all of these kids being thrown at me seeing how there were over 300 for one event and nearly 1,000 for the other. But none of these parents seemed to get it.

10. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

The simple solution in this case is to not actually attend city dive and swim meets, especially when kids under 14 are being featured. Nothing good ever comes of it, I promise.

11. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

My best writer was threatened with a lawsuit this week after writing a feature about a former area high school standout who's now playing D-I women's soccer.

Reflect on that sentence for a moment.

Why? Because he referred to her as the school's leading career scorer. Crazy Dad thinks his daughter is No. 1. -- the school's leading scorer.

She't not. We can prove it. Yet he engaged a lawyer ... who could not apologize enough for calling, but there you are.

12. indiansnetwork

indiansnetwork Active Member

I do not think that was so bad. You telling me this hasn't happened at the College or NFL level in some way or another. Just trying to make sure his kid was prepared. Secondly if the coach was dumb enough to fall for this obvious fake coach then maybe he needs to reevaluate his coaching and pay more attention to detail.

Draft saved Draft deleted