1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Crazy Mother-In-Laws

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by HeinekenMan, Dec 25, 2006.

1. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

For the record, yes. You're correct.

2. patchs

patchs Active Member

I am very lucky, I have a great MIL.
    There is no way I would have married my wife (as great as she is) if her parents weren't nice.
    You marry more than your wife and my in-laws have helped make my marriage less stressful.

3. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

My MIL is pretty good. She keeps begging for a grandchild, but I guess they all do that.

So, I'm rewarding her by making her daughter an Army wife, which will most likely keep us away for a long time.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

My mother-in-law means incredibly well, and would take a bullet for us, but good God, she's dense.

She basically spends her days either at her mom's house or at her own house, watching news channels. She sees the scroll and every time a team I cover makes a transaction, she calls me all breathless. Which would be OK if she GOT THE PLAYERS AND THE TRANSACTION RIGHT. Instead, she babbles non-sensically about players who don't exist involved in trades that never happened. Turns out she thinks signings are trades and trades are signings.

Ahh, God bless her.

5. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

So you're saying is Tony Romo wasn't traded for Steve Grogan?

6. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

I'm blessed to have a great mother-in-law who is a great person and a sports fan who actually knows about sports (although sometimes I'll have to remind her of the start time of the Eagles games).

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

My MIL is fine most of the time, but she has a talent for being incredibly rude and insensitive. I know she mostly means well, but sometime she says something so offensive that I end up not responding out of shock.

Comment on my bad eating habits: "Make sure you die soon enough that she can go find somebody else."

Yeah, I'm still pissed about that one. Mostly it's her still being pissed at my father-in-law for dying on her about a year and a half ago.

Also, the whole family has learned never to talk to her about a movie she saw that I haven't. She will spoil the ending, without fail. Every time.

Then again, my mother drives my wife crazy, too.

8. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Not really a mother-in-law story, but a boyfriend's mom story . . . Boyfriend has awful, terrible motorcycle accident, breaks a femur and FUBARs the knee on his other leg. Boyo was in a wheelchair for over a month.

Three days after he gets out of the hospital, I have to leave for a previous family commitment. So we tried to get his mother to come take care of him for the 4 days I was gonna be out of town. She said she didn't have enough money to come (woman didn't work.). Boyo and I offered to pay for her ticket. She still refused. I hated her for it. My mother hated her for it.

She may have had perfectly good reasons for not coming to help out, but I can't fathom leaving even my adult child alone when he's been injured that badly.

9. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Yeah, it was hard enough to find a good wife without overscrutinizing her family.

10. My mother-in-law's the coldest woman I've ever met. Always looks and acts like she's got something up her butt.

Somebody said it earlier in this thread: You marry into the whole family. So I've had to deal with this woman (and all the scars she and her even colder husband inflicted on my wife) for 14 years.

Fortunately, they live 800 miles away, so I don't have to see them much, though I've heard some of the meanest things one person can say to another from these folks. Earlier this year, my father-in-law (I know this is about MIL's. Sorry) threatened to assault my 5-year-old in the middle of Walt Friggin Disney World.

Which gets me to Christmas 2006. My wife's not talking to her parents anymore and I couldn't be happier :D Anybody else hate their in-laws that much?

11. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Psh, my cousin just had a baby girl a month ago and my uncle still hasn't gone to see her yet. He'll go sometime in February, from Pennsylvania to Florida, and see everyone for a day.

Now it's obvious my cousin comes from some crappy parents who are extremely self-centered despite their successes. I just feel bad for her, and for her fiance who is about to marry into some shit in-laws.

12. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I've got lots of stories, both good and bad. There is one involving a wedding and taquitos that did not end well.

But I had one boyfriend's mom who would make special meatless versions of whatever the rest of the family was having. Bless her.

I had another who took me in immediately as if I was one of her own and even invited me to Thanksgiving after the relationship ended, because she was afraid I wouldn't have anywhere to go that year.

I'm afraid that my mother is the witch that others speak of. It will be a brave soul who chooses to be with me.

Draft saved Draft deleted