1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Crazy letter from a Pulitzer winner: My wife's leaving me for Ted Turner

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by finishthehat, Jul 31, 2007.

1. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

Pulitzer-winning author Robert Olen Butler has e-mailed his students that his wife is leaving him for Ted Turner. That description does not do justice to the actual e-mail, which gets weirder with every sentence.

It has to be read to be believed. And don't miss the comments after it.

http://tinyurl.com/ysuk8f

(I'm not minimizing the tragedy the wife went through as a child, but the way Butler relates it to Turner is bizarre.)

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Re: Batshit crazy letter from a Pulitzer winner: My wife's leaving me for Ted Turner

Dude, the S-bomb on the thread title!

3. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

Re: Batshit crazy letter from a Pulitzer winner: My wife's leaving me for Ted Turner

Completely warranted, IMHO. If somebody knows of a newsroom where batshit can't appear in small type on a monitor, let me know.

What a letter.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Ted Turner's got it going on.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

He's all she wants and she's waited for soo long.

6. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

Sorry, didn't even realize it. Mods can feel free to change.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

You can change yourself; modify the title in the original post

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Holy crap! That is how you write a letter calling someone out, while still (apparently) maintaining the higher ground. My favorite part was when he alluded to Turner being similar to his wife's abusers (though he's not abusive) and that she won't be his only girlfriend and spend many months alone while Turner is hanging with his other gals. The way he appeared supportive about his wife's career ("didn't receive as much recognition as it deserved") while touting his Pulitzer was a nice touch too.
    I'm thinking the wife's next book might be a little bit better going from this guy to Ted Turner.

9. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Um, wow. Yeah, wow.

Never thought I'd see the words "intestinal blockage" used in an email like this though.

10. 21

21 Well-Known Member

That is utterly weird.

She feels overshadowed by his Pulitzer....but not by the behemoth that is Ted Turner and his harem?? I love it.

Ted gets what he wants. Very sexy and charismatic charmer.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Maybe Boom would be cool with you joining the harem.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

He'd have you three weeks out of four..

Draft saved Draft deleted