1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Craziness at AT&T Park

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BB Bobcat, Sep 27, 2008.

1. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

This may go unnoticed by many, being a meaningless West coast baseball game on a HS football Friday night, but I wanted to let you guys know what happened here tonight.

Bengie Molina hit a homer, but did not score a run.

With a runner on, Molina hits a ball off the top of the wall, stops at first with a long single. Manny Burriss comes out to pinch-run. Bochy argues that the ball cleared the fence. Umps caucus. Check the replay. Rule a HR. Burriss trots around the bases. Now 10 more mintues of debate to determine whether Burriss was really in the game or not. Giants want to keep Molina in.

Umps eventually rule that Molina is out, Burriss is in, and Burriss gets credit for the run, while Molina gets the HR and 2 RBIs.

Obviously this is going to create a new item in the "book" for managers: Always argue the HR before putting out a pinch-runner.

Just when you think you've seen it all...

2. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Wait.... how is that not a two-run single?

Like Ventura against the Diamondbacks.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

you mean the Braves? D-Backs were the NLDS.

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Because you have to account for the other three bases. Only way to do that is to give Molina the home run.

5. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

Baseball is supposed to be the great pure American game. No quantum physics.

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Shit! It's the black hole!

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

gotta be some pythagorean theory in there somewhere.

has that ever happened, bucky?

8. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

I'm sure there have been HRs where the hitter didn't get the run, because of passing a runner or not touching all the bases (a la Ventura), but I'd find it hard to believe there has been one in which another guy got the run.

Wait, never mind, guess he wouldn't get a HR then.

9. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

Mmmmm, love me some molecular attractions. Just hate those wormholes where one man finishes what another one started.

10. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Really?

Huh.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Anyone who has Benji Molina on a fantasy league team at this point deserves to get screwed on this.

And thanks BB, I always wondered whatever happened to Hal, the referee from The Sporting News.

12. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

I actually got a letter to him printed in TSN when i was a kid.

Draft saved Draft deleted