1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Craziest thing you've seen in baseball

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Shaggy, May 28, 2007.

1. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Craziest thing I DIDN'T see at a major league baseball game, which was frightening because I was the official scorer: Bases empty, routine single to right. Right-fielder catches the ball and lobs it back to the infield. I look down at my scorebook to fill in that square. I look up a few seconds later, the catcher is chasing the ball to the backstop and the runner is on second.
    I asked everybody on press row if anybody saw what happened. Nobody did. Finally, some radio nerd in the third row tells me what happened. He was the only one who saw it. Steve Sax, who couldn't throw anyway, had some kind of arm spasm tossing the ball back to the pitcher.

2. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

On TV:

While in Vegas, taking a break from losing at the tables, I got caught up in a marathon Dodgers-Astros game that wound up going so long that Fernando Valenzuela was playing in right field. I just looked it up. It was a 5-4 Astros win in 22 innings. Those are games you just can't tear yourself away from, just like an NHL playoff game once it gets to the second OT period.

3. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Fernando actually did something besides pitch on two occasions. There was a marathon game in Chicago when he played right field. Story behind the story: Lasorda professed that with the shortage of players, he was comfortable using Fernando in right. The truth was, he wanted Bob Welch, a much better athlete, but he was asleep in the clubhouse, which was quite a distance from the dugout at Wrigley. Fernando was the only one available.
    This is off the top of my head, but the game referenced above in Houston, I think Fernando was used at first base. A line drive hit to him deflected off his glove. Also in that game, third baseman Jeff Hamilton pitched. He was a classic over-hyped Dodgers minor-leaguer who came to L.A. with a big reputation and never amounted to much. He was a pussy. But in that game, he really pitched well and I think the umpire squeezed him a few times. It cost the Dodgers the game.

4. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Turner was told to knock it off under the general "travesty of the game" rule. In fairness, at that point he really didn't know shit about baseball. One of their coaches was really running things and Ted was just playing dress-up.

I haven't looked at the rule book in a long time, but I think the manager has the option of wearing street clothes. Burt Shotton did with the Dodgers in the '40s, I believe. Most dugouts are like toxic waste dumps, so I'd opt for the uniform.

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Oh c'mon Smasher. Stop running down toxic waste dumps like that.

6. AgatePage

AgatePage Active Member

high school game, pitcher has a perfecto going through 5 2/3 with 10 or 11 strikeouts. With a two-strike count, throws another barry zito-like curve ball, batter flails and misses badly. The ball bounces directly off the corner of the plate and straight up and over the backstop, which is a) only 10 feet tall and b) within 3 steps of home plate.

kid completes his no-no, but loses a perfecto on a K-WP.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

8. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

Greg Luzinski checks his swing, but the ball hits his bat just as he puts on the brakes. The ball sails all the way to the center-field wall, and Luzinski, still trying to put it all together, barely gets to first base for a single.

I googled this but only found an instance where he checked his swing and broke the bat handle. I also saw something about Chili Davis hitting a homer on a check swing.

Draft saved Draft deleted