1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Craziest thing you've seen in baseball

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Shaggy, May 28, 2007.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

In person:

David Wells perfect game and my friend who gave me the ticket seeing David Cone's the next season.

Greg Jeffries hitting for the natural cycle and Jeff Judan hitting a grand slam in the same game.

On TV:

Paul O'Neil kicking the ball to second base and the winning run holding at third.

2. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Didn't see it live, but Randy Johnson smoking that bird who flew in front of one of his pitches was pretty crazy shit.

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Crazy moment 1: John Rocker's "walk-off balk," 5/8/2000. Dude just dropped the damn ball while standing on the rubber. What an IDIOT! [/willferrell]

Crazy moment 2: The B.K. Kim home runs, Games 4-5, 2001 World Series. Still blows me away.

Craziest "I-know-I'll-never-see-anything-like-this-again" thing I've seen live: Randy Johnson's perfecto, 5/18/04.

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Buckdub, I was visiting a buddy in DC and we walked into a bar in the fourth inning of Johnson's perfecto.

I had driven cross country the day before, and we ended up sitting at the bar and watching the one tv in the joint, with a crowd that got bigger and bigger as the game went on.

Amazing, even to watch from a bar in strange city.

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I was in the left-field stands, and didn't realize it was perfection until I was in line at the concession in the sixth inning and heard Skip Carey say it on the radio speaker in the concourse. My ex kept trying to jinx it, taunting me that the no-hitter was going to be broken up every time a new batter came to the plate. (You see why she's an ex. ;D)

By the 7th, everyone knew what was going on and Unit got a pretty good hand when the inning ended. After the 8th and when he came back out for the 9th, he got close to a standing ovation. It was the most electric atmosphere I've ever been around.

6. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Home team trails 7-4 with two gone in the last of the ninth.

Pinch-hit double on an 0-2 pitch. Infield single by a whisker, infield single by a whisker, then a grand slam, game over, homne team wins 8-7. At least the guy who hit the GS made the majors.

Also seen the local college team score 10 runs in an inning after the first two batters were put out.

7. bueller

bueller Member

I've always wanted to use the phrase "balk-off."

In college, a couple of us were making the 40-mile drive to a minor-league game and invited a third guy. He declined the invitation. Of course, he missed a no-hitter. Of course, when we got back that night, we called: "You missed a no-hitter."

The crazy part is what happened two weeks later. See above paragraph, repeat, except for the phone message: "You missed another one."

8. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

LaTroy Hawkins did it for the Cubs in 2004. Then, he promptly blew his next 2,521 save opportunities.

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Fuck LaTroy Hawkins.

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I used to work for a company that had Jays season tickets. Used to go regularly.

Oakland was in town for the weekend and I gave up my tickets to a young woman in our department for the Friday night game.

Dave Stewart pitched a no-hitter.

Woman says on Monday, "That was a really boring game Toronto didn't get ANY hits".

11. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

Covering a HS baseball game a few years back.

The LF fence is ridiculously short -- maybe 225' down the line -- so it can accommodate the softball diamond behind it (the LF fence for baseball and the RF fence for softball are one and the same).

Kid from the visiting team (ranked No. 1 in the state's second-largest class, who's not used to playing at Class A dumps like this one) hits a pop fly into left. The ball drops 20 feet beyond the fence. As he rounds first base, he yells rather loudly "I hate this place."

It was the only time I've ever seen someone POed about a homerun.

The next day, at the same diamond, I saw a pitcher save his own win -- started the game, pitched 4 innings, left with the lead. Two innings and a couple of pitching changes later, the kid is put back on the mound and gets the last two outs of the seventh to quell the visitors' last rally and win.

12. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

I believe the MLB rule book lists as a contengency rule for a save that he/she must not be the winning pitcher.

But I've seen pitchers do it myself, and would always credit them with the W and the Sv.

Draft saved Draft deleted