1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Craziest thing a potential employer has asked you to do

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Untitled, May 4, 2013.

1. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Was a good paper once.
    How did it make your list?

2. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

Being asked to critique sections seemed like a routine thing for copy desk candidates, although I never had to do an entire week's worth (usually just two daily sections and the Sunday section). In fact, it was so commonplace that when I went on an interview and didn't have to do a critique, I asked the sports editor about it. He said they'd been burned by a candidate who'd caught all sorts of mistakes on the critique but turned out to be "the worst desk hire we've ever made" when he had to work under pressure. So he ditched the critiques and primarily relied on word of mouth from people he knew in the business.

3. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Provide the name of my kindergarten.
    This was something he did on all interviews, I was told in advance.

4. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

Asked if I would be willing to wear the giraffe suit. I said only if they didn't mind having a giraffe with a cane. This was Toys R Us, by the way.

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Craziest thing about the critiques was this one..... Did a week's worth of papers. Was very thorough, page by page. Paper was not very good and I politely made A LOT of comments of how it could be improved. Figured no way they would hire me after I ripped them so much. Hired me anyway. Then didn't want to hear any more suggestions on how we could improve after I joined the staff.

6. bbnews60

bbnews60 Member

I was asked to critique a paper by the ME who then said he didn't agree with many of my suggestions. Five minutes later, I was asked to sit on a daily planning meeting, he recited my suggestions almost verbatim. Glad I didn't get that job.

Draft saved Draft deleted