1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Craziest thing a potential employer has asked you to do

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Untitled, May 4, 2013.

1. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Dear Penthouse: It was just another job interview, I thought as I settled into the chair, but then Ms. Deekupps, the smoking-hot hiring manager with a body by Victoria's Secret, locked the door, turned to me with a smile and asked me if I had any special skills ...

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I've done it.

3. Drip

Drip Active Member

I think many of us have done it. It's not that big of a deal.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

No. I mean I've done it without being asked.

5. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

When I was hiring, I would have the applicant interview someone in the office-- the news clerk, circulation manager, etc. -- then write a profile.

It showed what they could do and I got feedback from the interview subject on how the applicant was with his/her questioning.

At another paper, we had an applicant who came in on the day of a huge fire, and she was sent out with a couple other reporters. Always felt bad for her, as she certainly wasn't dressed for the assignment.

6. Scoop returns

Scoop returns Member

Not so much I was asked to do anything crazy but I remember one of the strangest interviews I ever had started when the sports editor picked me up from the hotel the first morning and we headed straight to the laundry mat. Turns out a stray cat he had taken in had pissed on his son's new white comforter and he didn't want his ex-wife to find out. So here I am in my suit helping dude fold this huge ass comforter. I ended up getting the job and he was cool boss and is still a good friend to this day. But he hasn't been a sports editor since.

7. Yeah.. dress clothes and a fire scene do not mix.

8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Got an interview (but not an offer) a few years ago to do marketing for a NASCAR merchandise website. To get to that stage, I had to call the number listed in the ad and leave a 2-3 minute message on the machine explaining why I would be great for the job. The owner is now head of the county commission and every bit as batshit crazy as his predecessors.

9. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I've done a drug test on an interview as well. In this case, it was 2/3 of the way across the country, so I assume that made more sense. They were also going to offer me the job as long as I didn't show up to the interview with three heads, so that probably contributed.

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

Did she get the job?

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I had one place where they flew me in and then after a couple hours of interviews, I was told I was being sent to a MLB game to write a gamer for the next morning's paper. I didn't mind doing it as much as I minded not being told that I was going to have to do it. I had told my SE and assigning editor that I was interviewing, but I didn't know I was going to have a byline that was going to make it obvious to anybody who saw it that I was interviewing...

The SE at the paper who was interviewing me was apologetic about it but said they'd had issues with a couple hires who had good clips, but found out later that they were usually pretty heavily edited.

I think my biggest issue was that they didn't tell me ahead of time. It worked out, I got the job and five years later they ended my journalism career. :D

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

For my first job, I had to take a general sports knowledge test. I got 38 of 40 right. I would guess that 35 of the questions would fall into the easy to ridiculously easy category. The two I missed were both olympic-related, which was funny because one of the first major events I covered there was the Olympics, which I went as a last-minute replacement.

Draft saved Draft deleted