1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Craziest college football fans (not necessarily in a good way)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Dec 3, 2010.

1. joeggernaut

joeggernaut Member

I'm gonna second everything that's been said about OSU. Completely insane fanbase, sense of entitlement, obsession with UM rivalry, a state full of bandwagoners behind them.

I'm a Michigan State grad, and while our fans are fairly restrained compared to the SEC, the Michigan game gets everybody riled up. I once saw a group of students throwing half-eaten turkey legs at Wolverine fans wandering near the student entrance before the game.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Nice brawl with stabbings at USC/Raiders/Dodgers-UCLA game tonight in Pasadena.

3. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

They were facing the worst Indiana team in a decade that day.

Their expectation of victory wasn't exactly going out on a limb.

I don't blame OSU fans for that, I blame Indiana fans for establishing a football atmosphere in which opposing fans feel they can rip down the goalposts with little resistance.

4. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

But that game was 17-17 with five minutes left. Lots of Buckeye fans sweating bullets before they win on a fluke play. Only arrogance/sense of entitlement would cause a massive amount of people to count their chickens before they hatch.

The Indiana team had to surround the goalpost on one end of the field, and the Buckeye fans patiently waited for them to leave. Once they did, the Bucknuts rushed the post, but the players reversed course and went back and stayed until some remaining Indiana fans took their place and the OSU fans finally gave up. It was surreal and ridiculous at the same time (and fittingly, OSU lost to Michigan the next week).

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

The Indiana athletic department used to take all of its overhead-stadium publicity shots at the OSU football games because it was the one time the stadium was guaranteed to be full and red.

6. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

And the fact that IU has beaten OSU exactly once in the last few decades, that might also have added to their confidence level.

Draft saved Draft deleted