1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Craziest college football fans (not necessarily in a good way)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Dec 3, 2010.

1. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Wisconsin alum here. Embarassed by how many in the crowd (and parking lots) act with visiting fans.

My only crime: pelting John Cooper and Herbstreit with penny-filled marshmallows in 1992...

2. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Ohio State's fan base has mellowed considerably in the last 10 years. It's still a good idea not to wear Michigan gear around town though.

3. RickStare

RickStare New Member

I'm not arguing that MU is, but at the same time, they may be underrated if you're taking into consideration football, baseball and men's basketball.

if you were to figure out some formula for power rankings combining those three over the last five years, I'd be willing to bet they'd be in the top 20. (however, I do say that with the caveat that this year's basketball team is included)

the small minority of Nebraska fans make up for the good Lincoln gameday experience. it has a lot to do with being insular with only one sport to cheer for 24/7

4. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/ncaa/specials/fansurvey/2009/acc.html

This is a survey from Sports Illustrated last year in each conference. They ask fans rudest/most polite fans among several other things. I know "rudeness" isn't the entire part of being crazy, but it's interesting. Almost universally the most successful programs were considered the rudest. For some reason, Mountain West fans listed Wyoming as the rudest fans in the conference. Nebraska was the exception, with Big XII fans listing them as the most polite in the Big XII.

Everyone I know that has gone to a game @ LSU says their fans are absolutely insane.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Rammer Jammer Yellow Hammer by Warren Johns about Bama fans is a terrific read.

I'll give a vote to Clemson fans. They really don't have an excuse.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I've never been to a game at Clemson. I've heard it's pretty nuts.

LSU is the coolest place in the SEC to see a game by a mile and that's saying a lot. The fans can be dicks, but not on the level of Bama or Florida.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Wisconsin has an unbelievable atmosphere. I was pretty surprised. The first two times I went there the Badgers were getting killed and no one left the stadium.

8. beardown

beardown Member

I cover the Big Ten and I'd say: 1. Wisconsin; 2. Iowa. 3. Ohio State

Wisconsin's fans are borderline insane, most of the time in a good way. It's an automatic ticket if you're driving with out-of-state plates, especially from Iowa or Illinois. I'd put them against anyone when it comes to alcohol consumption.

Iowa's fans have unrealistic expectations and probably the world's most thin-skinned fan base. Ohio State's fans will boo the Buckeyes at all times, even with a fourth-quarter lead.

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

The other thing that doesn't help at Iowa is the fact the fans are right on top of both benches.

10. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

Ohio State fans once tore down the opposing team's goalposts, trashed the stadium and nearly got into a fight with the other team's players and fans because they thought it was their birthright to tear down the OTHER goalpost.

I don't get out of the Big Ten much, but I don't even bother going to watch Ohio State play when they come through because their fans are just beyond being @$$#)!3$. Thought it was hilarious one year when OSU visited Indiana, and INDOT set up a work zone on I-70 from Columbus to Indy that hit the westbound lanes (snarling the pregame traffic) in the morning and the eastbound (postgame traffic) in the afternoon. Only time I was ever happy to see a 10-mile backup (of course, I was driving the other way both times :) ).

I *LOVE* visiting Wisconsin (unless your team is losing 83-20 ... thankfully, wasn't at that one :) ) and haven't been to Kinnick, but the Iowa fans I've been around when they've visited Bloomington are really loyal, hard-core fans but very respectful.

11. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Ohio State deserves special consideration just for that day. If they'd tried that at some southern venues there'd have likely been some dead bodies left scattered on the field. Could you imagine how those drunk cajuns at LSU would've reacted to seeing a bunch of Buckeye fans tearing down THEIR posts and ripping up Tiger Stadium?

12. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

The funny thing was, many of the Buckeyes were wearing Rose Bowl/Big Ten Champs shirts BEFORE the game that clinched it. Conceited, arrogant, sense of entitlement doesn't even begin to describe the Buckeye fans. Admin sent Indiana a five-figure check to pay for the damage to the stadium.

Draft saved Draft deleted