1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Crash ... into the tree

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JayFarrar, Feb 18, 2007.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

So about 3 o'clock this morning, I'm on the couch and asleep and this loud crash wakes me up. So it sounds close and I get up and look out the window and a car has crashed into the tree across the street.
    So I put on some warm clothes and go investigate. Some kid, 18, was in the driver's seat and wasn't moving. So I banged on the window and asked if he was alright. Didn't get anything. Went around to the driver's side and opened up the door, I'm also calling 911 at this point and when I opened the door, the kid was like "what?" And he said he was fine. Of course his head had slammed into the steering wheel and he had a knot on his head roughly the size of a pineapple. You could hear the sirens coming and he decided then it was time to get out of the car and go inside. I can only assume he thought he was in his driveway, and I discouraged him by saying that I thought his leg was broken and that he shouldn't walk on it. That seemed to calm him down, but he was like moving his legs around and kept saying "I don't think they are broke."
    They weren't, but it made for a good story.
    EMS, then the cops, then the FD all got there. Told them I had heard it, but didn't see it and went back to the house. The front bumper is still sitting on the grass, along with a lonely looking hubcap.
    I feel sorry for the kid. I'm sure he was some combination of drunk/stoned/sleepy and that led to the crash. It was a pretty nice car, some kind of SUV looking thing, probably his parents. And if I hadn't went out there, he might have been there for awhile. Not that much traffic at that time of night, and none of the neighbors, including those who live in the apartment building he almost hit came out. Someone might have called it in, but 911 told me when I called that I was the first one to report it. If he had been really hurt, he could have died.
    It just kinda made me wonder why no one else bothered? I know not everyone would be at home, But the apartment building has maybe 40 units in it and no one called? Just odd and it isn't some HUD housing, but an upscale building with yuppie types who live there. I think most of them are in the ballet or symphony or something all artsy, fartsy.
    And I live in an old money, upscale neighborhood. The kind of place people go jogging with their dog or pushing a souped, baby stroller. And no one called?
    Weird, very weird.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I'm guessing the crash woke them up, but they didn't get out of bed to see what made the noise. Some might have even thought it was a bad dream that woke them up.

3. JF, you did the right thing, including making the kid stay put. You don't know if he has internal injuries.

Many years ago, when I was just a Scribelet, my father and I heard a similar crash outside. We went to investigate and found an off-duty cop upside down in his car on a deserted country road. Apparently he had pursued someone but lost control. We helped him extricate himself, and my father, who was ex-law enforcement, made the cop lie still and wait for paramedics. I was never prouder of the old man than that night, keeping a cool head and talking cop to cop to calm the guy.

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

That was disappointing. I thought this was going to lead to you inviting the dazed accident victim into your house to be your gimp, a la Pulp Fiction.

5. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Bubbler just apologize for waking him up and be on your way.

6. When I saw the subject line, I was hoping this thread was going to be about Dave Matthews crashing into a tree.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

8. leo1

leo1 Active Member

just how loud was it? you said you were asleep on your couch (which i presume is not in your bedroom). the point being maybe it was not as loud to others who were in their bedrooms in back of their houses as it was to you who was in front. just a thought.

Draft saved Draft deleted