1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Craiglist selling - Can you sell nationally?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Aug 10, 2010.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I have a bunch of things I'd like to sell on Craigslist, but it seems like you are restricted to one area of the country when posting an ad? Is this correct. The language reads as follows: there is no need to cross-post to more than one area - doing so may get you flagged and/or blocked - thanks!

This seems odd in the era of Paypal and, well, the U.S. Postal Service.

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

That's what Craiglist wants: to create a sense that you are part of the local community through them.

3. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Yeah... if you want to sell nationally why don't you use Ebay? No chance of getting burned.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I think they mean more than one area per city.

I buy used espresso machines, rebuild them, and then sell them. I often find them on Craigslist.

Some people do list in multiple cities. I would just make it clear that you're not local in the ad, because the buyer might want/expect to come right over to pick up his/her purchase.

To search nationally, use google and type "site:craigslist.org".

You'll get a lot of dead links, but if you're looking for something that you're willing to pay for shipping, you can find something.

5. IllMil

IllMil Active Member

The obvious reason to prefer CL is that you don't have to give them a cut of your sales. But you're obviously not protected from a scam, either.

6. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

If you sell, you just make sure you have payment in hand BEFORE you ship it.

7. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

If you post in multiple cities, it sets off alarms at CL HQ.

8. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

You might be able to post in two closely-related areas, say Southeast Kansas and Joplin, but more than that is frowned upon.

Multiple postings of the same item in one area is also a no-no. There's a guy with a Ford Expedition who's trying to sell it quickly for $6K. He's been listing it twice a day and in 3 or 4 areas. I'm surprised he hasn't been flagged yet*.

* - That and when people realize how desperate to sell it he is, are probably going to realize that all they have to do is wait a few days and low-ball him.

9. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Unless they go to paypal and say they didn't receive the item. Buyer protection is better than the seller protection on that site. I had to fight to the death over a $45 payment someone tried to stiff me on this year.

I sold a phone and a bunch of accessories. The person said it wasn't what they ordered (it really was). They sent an empty box back. Sent the return shipping info to paypal as evidence. Pay pal gave them their payment back. And so I was out the item, and the money. It took me a month and four phone calls, they finally refunded the value of the phone and accessories ($45) because I was a valued customer with no complaints in 7 years. It was still a hassle though.

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Bought a DVD from someone in England on eBay.

Wouldn't trust CL for anything.

Draft saved Draft deleted