1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Craig Ferguson and the skeleton go bye-bye

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by jr/shotglass, Apr 28, 2014.

1. Decadent

Decadent New Member

Those are all lame and played out. He has nothing to offer.

2. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

According to an exclusive report from The Wrap, James Corden will be the new host of CBS's The Late Late Show.

http://jezebel.com/the-newest-late-night-tv-host-is-another-white-guy-1616569587

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The lovely Diane Kruger is on Ferguson right now.

4. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Going obscure, I see. Even more obscure than Ferguson was; at least he'd been on American TV.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Yeah - are they thinking people will be too drunk/stoned to notice it's a different limey?

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

7. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Many drunken hours spent watching Craig and Karl doing the feel-good.

"He's not my-Vidas...........he's not your Vidas........he's our Vidas....."

8. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

The only time "obscure" has worked in late night was Conan in the 12:30 slot and he was super close to being canceled a couple years in.

I'm guessing this guy won't get that long.

9. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Well, Ferguson was arguably as obscure of a choice as Conan, and both of them managed to survive and build an audience. Even Kilborn had a bit of a following. (Okay, maybe it was just me.) I think all of the 12:30 shows work because outside of the host salary, you're really not paying much. Ferguson was reportedly making about $12M a year as of 2012, which seems OK for 250ish shows per year, and that was around his 8th year at the helm. At 12:30, you have time to build an audience, because expectations and salary are low.

10. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Meh. Don't watch it then. Frankly, when I'm not working at that hour, I've found Fallon, Ferguson and even Kimmel do some funny stuff. The "talk" part of it is totally secondary to what's done in the first 20 minutes.

It's just like the SNL haters. I'd rather watch this than infomercials or poker reruns at 12:20.

11. RecoveringJournalist

Kilborn definitely had a following and while Ferguson's name wasn't recognizable, when people saw him, it was, "Oh yeah, that guy from the Drew Carey show." Ferguson also participated in the CBS tryout for that spot, so anybody watching saw him there as well.

12. RecoveringJournalist

It's an interesting mix of slow-build and instant success among the late night guys.

Instant success: Fallon, Stewart, Colbert, Letterman.

Slow-build: Conan (on NBC), Kimmel, Ferguson and it's probably too early to judge Seth Meyers.

Draft saved Draft deleted