1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Craig Dubow quits

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Baron Scicluna, Oct 7, 2011.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I read somewhere in Hopkins' blog that Dubow averaged $8 million in compensation in his six years with Gannett. I can't find the link on there, though. Even taking out half for taxes, that's $4 million a year for six years.

I'd be quite happy with $24 million in my bank account, especially considering the damage that I did to the company and the thousands of people who would be pissed off at me.

So yeah, I'd pass up the extra $37 million.

That, my friends, is called having a heart.

2. JC

JC Well-Known Member

So if he doesn't accept the money do you really believe that all that money will be given to the employees, or to hire a thousand more people? Maybe you will be taken seriously on these threads when you come live in reality. What kind of car would Dubow be?

3. Baron Scicluna

Dubow would be the most expensive engine on the planet. And he would be placed inside a broken-down, rusty Edsel.

Probably that $37 million goes to the shareholders, which maybe, keeps them investing in the company. Or maybe that $37 million goes towards keeping the company afloat for another few months. And the message gets sent to employees that their sacrifices aren't going towards one incompetent guy and just maybe, they'll be motivated to do better work, or for the digitial people, to be innovative enough to help the company out.

Not to mention, as noted earlier on the thread, Gannett's net profits was $588 million last year. Assuming it stays exactly the same, Dubow's $37 million is 6 percent of that net profit. A pretty large percentage towards one guy.

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

My god you're naive Baron.

5. Baron Scicluna

Naive? How?

Apple Computer has a solid business plan. They reward their brass, their shareholders and their employees. Gannett rewards their brass with out-of-whack compensation, gives shareholders a poorer investment than they should, and screws over their employees. So how is that naive?

6. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

That's not just a Gannett problem. Bob Nardelli's had a couple golden parachutes now.

7. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

Project Apple huzzah!

8. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

Here's a little more info on the Dubow package. I'm trying to figure out, if you're so disabled you cannot work, why do you need a secretary, equipment and tech support for three years?

http://www.footnoted.com/uncategorized/at-gannett-easing-the-way-for-dubow/

9. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

He needs someone to turn on the TV and hand-feed him.

10. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

Dubow is just representative of a larger problem with Corporate America. Anyone with a basic understanding of economics and law understand the flaws in the structure of the system. It's unfortunate that people like Dubow-and apparently a number of people on this board*-can't restrain themselves from taking advantage.

* Although I applaud you all for at least being honest about it.

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Especially one who essentially spent his time rearranging the Titanic's deck chairs, while tossing vital workers into the Atlantic
    so as to do his best to see that the first-class meals kept coming, as scheduled . . .

12. Baron Scicluna

Now, now, Ben. That's naive. Don't you know those first-class meals prepared themselves?

Draft saved Draft deleted