1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Craig Biggio Hall of Famer?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by boots, Aug 1, 2006.

1. boots

boots New Member

One of the best and most candid interviewees in baseball is Houston's Craig Biggio. A good guy and I've had the pleasure of knowing him since he was hitting with Mo Vaughn at Seton Hall, someone recently asked me is he a Hall of Famer. I know he's closing in on 3,000 hits. I said if he hits 3,000 he's in no questions asked. But if he misses, does he rate as a Hall of Famer?

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

If Sandberg got it, there's no reason Biggio shouldn't. Of course, if he is, Joe Morgan won't go that year.

3. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Biggio was solid in a couple of other respects, namely lead-off homers and doubles. Guy could absolutely truck and something has to be said for being loyal to a team.

4. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

Sandberg was a/the dominant 2B of his time. Sandberg's HR totals appear modest now, but for he time, he was a monster. Biggio hasn't been the dominant anything, but he's been excellent in several spots. I guess the test I always apply to HOFers -- not that I have a vote -- is were they one of the true bad asses of their era? I think Sandberg was, not so much with Biggio.

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Most similar batters, via Baseball-reference:

Roberto Alomar (862)
    Joe Morgan (838) *
    Robin Yount (829) *
    Lou Whitaker (822)
    Ryne Sandberg (802) *
    Vada Pinson (778)
    Charlie Gehringer (773) *
    Paul Molitor (760) *
    Barry Larkin (753)
    Alan Trammell (751)

Add four gold gloves, and the position change stuff, plus staying with one team the whole way, and Biggio's in.

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

He's already a Hall of Famer. He's a fucking lock if he gets 3,000 (and he should.)

All-Star at three different positions (and a legit multiposition all-star, unlike Rose)
    2,800-plus hits (averaged 175 hits per year for 19 years)
    1,800 or so runs (top 25 all time)
    Four Gold Gloves
    12th all time in doubles (604 entering '06 season)
    2,600 games played
    Hit by pitch record (memorable helps)
    A class act (character helps)
    One-team career (that also helps -- so does bringing the World Series to Houston)

7. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

Bill James, on Craig Biggio, circa 2000: "Craig Biggio is the best player in major league baseball today. If you compare Craig Biggio very carefully to Ken Griffey Jr. in almost any season, you will find that Biggio has contributed more to his team than Griffey has. ... (A)part from home runs, (Biggio) did everything better than Griffey (in 1998)."

In his historical almanac, James ranked Biggio as the fifth-best second baseman in history -- ahead of Hall of Famers Charlie Gehringer, Frankie Frisch and Nellie Fox.

8. boots

boots New Member

I know Biggio made the All-Star team as a centerfielder and second baseman. What year did he make it as a catcher?

9. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

1991. He played 139 games at catcher, 3 games at 2B and 2 games in the OF.

In '92, he played 161 games at second base and made the All-Star team again.

10. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Good point. So he was an All-Star at two positions.

Biggio was also the first player in major league history to be a regular at catcher, and a middle infield and outfield positions. Others have been regulars at C/1B, C/3B or C/OF. But none in the middle infield positions -- which, of course, are much tougher defensively than 1B (and slightly tougher than 3B).

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

If Manny Ramirez stopped playing today, does he get in to the HOF?

12. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

No. Eventually, yes.

Draft saved Draft deleted