1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cracking the New York code

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, Dec 14, 2008.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

OK, those in NY or more familiar than yours truly: Help me with that code for cross streets. I had it somewhere, can't find it.
    366 Fifth Avenue. There's some easy way to tell, isn't there?

2. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Try these, my friend:

http://www.ny.com/locator/

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9C07E6DC1530F933A0575BC0A9679C8B63

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Not really, Moddy. You take the building number and divide by 20. Then you add or subtract a number depending on the avenue. For example, 6th Avenue is (building number/20)-12). 8th Avenue is ((building number/20)+9).

You happened to pick 5th Avenue, which is the only Avenue it doesn't work for. The number you add after dividing the building number by 20 differs, depending on how far uptown you get. I'm not kidding. It's:

63-108 +11
    109-200 +13
    201-400 +16
    401-600 +18
    601-775 +20
    For 776-1286, divide by 10 (instead of 20) and then subtract 18

So for 366 5th Ave., it is ((366/20)+16), which is 34.3, or 34th Street.

4. Moderator1

Lord. That's way too complicated for me. I knew it was in the lower 30s, was just wondering if there was an easier way!

5. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

This is the reason I never leave the house.

6. Where do you live and how can I get there from here?

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Well, that and the fact that everyone comes to you to kiss the ring.

8. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

We're the last building on the right. High up. But not too high. Look for the helipad. It's next to the solarium. (Just don't confuse it with the greenhouse, which is on level 9 - adjacent to the observatory. The orchidarium on 8 belongs to the neighbors. They are Lichtensteiners who sing beautifully but are drunkards.) Our hydrofoil is parked out front. Tell your rickshaw man to take you to the Teahouse of Russet Potatoes. The password is "dreadnought." We'll expect you around six. Bring a covered dish.

Mostly they just bring the take-out. But our pizza guy has tried to grab me a couple times.

9. Can I just sit on the stoop?

10. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Of course.

Our stoop may actually around the corner, though. We're part of the new citywide "Shared Stoop Initiative," whereby New Yorkers make the best of our ever-diminishing stoop resource by moving our stoops from building to building. This occurs on the same rotation as Alternate Side of the Street Parking. So - depending on the day, date and time - take the M15 bus north for as long as it takes you to sing the "Wilkommen" song from Cabaret. Multiply that number by 27. Now subtract 158. Get off the bus. Spin, spin, spin. Ask the man in the orange jumpsuit for a paper transfer. He will laugh and laugh. Now walk north. 200 paces. Go back one. Add three. Take the 6 Train. Detrain at any stop. Entrain the N Train. Count 57. Jump down. Turn around. We have no bales of cotton, sadly. But hay we have by the hundredweight. So pick a bale. In fact, pick two. Close your eyes. Click your heels three times. Whisper "I think I can, I think I can." Now divide by 6. Open your eyes wide. The stoop should be just to your left.

We'll leave the key to human understanding beneath the cast iron amphora in which the singing Lichtensteiners grow their heirloom tomatoes.

Can't wait!

11. Moderator1

Hey, does that joint that makes cold chocolate in the summer heat it up in the winter? I subtracted 27 but couldn't figure it out.

12. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Yes they do. Hot, hot, hot. And ask them to float a handmade marshmallow in there, too. Do not do the math on the calories. Do not.

Draft saved Draft deleted