1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cracked Is Back

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by ifilus, Aug 16, 2006.

1. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

from FishbowlNY.com
    Cracked Is Back, With A Stella(r) Comedy Roster Led By Michael Ian Black

After a 48-year history and a year-and-a-half long hiatus, Cracked Magazine is back, rejigged, restaffed and reimagined as a serious humor magazine, prepared by people who would know. Led by comedian/actor/editor-at-large Michael Ian Black, whose credits include The State On MTV, Stella, Wet Hot American Summer and VH1 "I Can Dryly Comment On The Events Of The '70s, '80s and '90s," the magazine has tapped into the comedy community hard, featuring writers from The Daily Show, Saturday Night Live & Chappelle's Show (this cover alone namechecks Rob Corddry, Ed Helms, South Park's loveable Libertarians Trey Parker and Matt Stone, Bill Murray, Carlos "Mind Of" Mencia, and Ian Black). Greatest Living Writer Ever and super-hip dad Neal Pollack

Cracked was acquired in 2005 by entrepreneur Monty Sarhan, underwent a major website overhaul and print redesign, and looks to have re-emerged as a serious comedy juggernaut, or at least be able to mobilize some serious talent. It's a good time to be funny: Comedy sites are attracting some correspondingly serious dough, with College Humor officially selling a majority stake to Barry Diller's IAC Corp. for over $20 million and Viacom rumored recently to be sniffing around The Onion, and the success of "The Daily Show" and "The Colbert Report" meant it was only a matter of time before others tried to get in on the action. Add that to the rapid rise of available online platforms (YouTube etc.) and you've got a lot of opportunity for people who can bring the funny.

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I don't like Michael Ian Black.

3. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

If you're cracked, you're happy.

4. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

I hope they can recapture the humor that National Lampoon magazine had back in the day.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

It could be worse. Sylvester P. Smythe and company could have hired assclown-media whore Mo Rocca...

6. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Lame, lame, lame MAD ripoff back in the day, complete with the middle-initialed mascot.

Crazy magazine - anyone else remember that? - was way better....

7. D.Sanchez

D.Sanchez Member

Wake me up when Spy makes a comeback.

8. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Wake me up when Spy vs. Spy makes a comeback

9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Well done, sir.

Didn't one of those MAD studs like Don Martin or Dave Berg jump to Cracked way back when?

10. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

It did. It's called Vanity Fair.

11. leo1

leo1 Active Member

exactly. there are already too many magazines out there. mad is less funny than it used to be but it's still worth a chuckle every now and then.

Draft saved Draft deleted