1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Coyotes attack!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JR, Feb 24, 2009.

1. JR

JR Active Member

This is in a neighbourhood in the city, not out in Double J Land.

Toronto's a city of ravines so there are a lot of undeveloped areas right in the middle of the city. Coyotes, foxes and racoons are frequently spotted. But now we have a hungry coyote.

"Zoe (a chihuahua) was about 5 metres from the house at about 8:45 a.m. when the coyote leapt a 1.2 metre chain-link fence, seized the dog by the scruff of the neck and disappeared up a hill."

A recent poll indicated that the majority of Torontonians would rather see the coyote found and removed to a real wilderness area rather than shot.
  2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Toronto police have released a photo of the suspect.
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Good luck on the coyote getting out of Toronto alive if Mickey Rourke hears about this!
  4. Bubbler

Bubbler Active Member

Eff Toronto. Wildlife attacks the Haute!

5. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Man. So weird that I just posted a story and photo about a coyote riding the Portland, Ore., metro rail.
  6. JR

JR Active Member

I just noted that on your commuter coyote thread. :)
  7. Rough Mix

Rough Mix Guest

Coyote? Chill

There are more out there than people realize. Mountain lions/cougars, too, but not as numerous as coyotes.
  8. JR

JR Active Member

Oh, they're all over the place in Toronto. There's a pack of them in the ravine by the Toronto Science Centre which is at the corner of two six lane roads.
  9. Rough Mix

Rough Mix Guest

Have them where I live. Can hear them at night.
  10. JR

JR Active Member

Coyotes, by all accounts, are incredibly adaptable animals.

They first surfaced in TO about ten or so years ago. A lot of their habitat north of the city had been turned into suburban sprawl so they just kinda migrated down the Humber and Don Rivers which both empty into Lake Ontario in the heart of the city.
  11. "Toronto's a city of ravines so there are a lot of undeveloped areas right in the middle of the city."

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I don't think a single coyote is much to be afraid of -- unless you are a toy poodle.
Draft saved Draft deleted