1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Coyote/Harris

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, May 31, 2009.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

A friend asked me to post this about upcoming changes at his paper. I know we used Harris at the TD and my desk crew hated it with a passion. They told me many times when they yelled HARRIS SUCKS! they didn't mean me (though I suspect they did). I'm told Harris is cumbersome, not user friendly at all.

My newspaper is switching to Coyote for content management and Harris
    for page layout. Is anyone familiar with either program? All tips and
    tricks would be appreciated, since I've been using Word and Quark for
    a decade.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Harris sucks.

Of course, that probably also had to do with the fact the T-D had us working on computers from roughly 1987.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, some of those bad boys were my age.

This paper has much newer computers - only a couple of years old.

4. SportySpice

SportySpice Member

Go back to using the AP Leafdesk and you'd have the unholy trinity of newspaper production. Seriously. I can't think of a much worse duo than Coyote and Harris. The little I used of Harris was a long time ago, and it was like trying to design a page while blindfolded. I'm told it wasn't any better in recent years, and I honestly thought Coyote systems went the way of the Tandy TRS-80 Model 100 portable computers.
    [​IMG]
    Wish I had some tips or tricks to help, but hopefully using new-ish computers will lessen the pain.

5. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

My favorite Coyote memory is when you'd (command-J) justify a story and it would just keep on counting -- infinitely -- and you'd have to reboot and would lose whatever you'd written.

Was weaned on Coyote. I'm only comfortably writing in yellow on a blue background ...

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Coyote SUCKS. Should've died in 1997. I hate that goddamn system. Don't use spell-check; it'll crash you. Hate it, hate it, hate it.

7. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Coyote was my fave in the 1980s-1990s, much better than Atex, in my opinion. Harris was the first pagination system I used, so I didn't know any better, but I did not like Quark by comparison initially. I have no idea what the current generation of either is like, but two points:

1.) Any system will suck if your IT department blows.

2.) WTF difference does it make? If they're buying it, you're using it. You can tell them to ship it back, but they won't.

8. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

I have no idea what this thread is about. I was hoping Mike had teamed up with Wile E. to form another new business venture.

9. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I thought Wlat Harris was spotted at Coyote Ugly.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Outstanding...

11. Bob Crotchet

Bob Crotchet Member

Harris as in Jazbox (the new, sorta modern suite) or just the old Harris Pagination System? Haven't used Jazbox; worked on a Harris system on NT4 a while ago. If you're a command-line junkie, Harris is fine. Very powerful. But very unfriendly. Last I heard (a couple of years ago), it wasn't even certified to run on Win XP. Oh, and the editor of choice was Word for Windows 6.0.

12. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

Coyote is at least 10 years beyond the technology curve, so good luck with that. If your computers are more than 10 years old, they will make the software even more cumbersome. Save a lot. Prepare for crashes. And never, ever, spell check. Kiss of death. Keep a dictionary handy.

Draft saved Draft deleted