1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cox?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by txsportsscribe, May 22, 2007.

1. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

Considering a potential move to a Cox newspaper (30k-ish circulation) on the news side copy desk in another state. Would be taking a bit of a pay cut (potentially about $7k a year) but I would hope the short-term sacrifice would pay dividends for future advancement. The 6k small daily I'm at now has nowhere to move up for me but to publisher (that ain't happening) and as I said in another thread, it's a bad situation anyway. Any opinions on Cox as a company would be greatly appreciated.

2. Willie-Butch

Willie-Butch Member

I know of at least one Cox paper that outsources its design, at least on the sports desk.

3. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

I've been very happy with Cox. Yes, there is potential to move up (newsside guy here just had interview at major metro) but they treat their communities with respect. The equipment is new and the pay is just enough better than other papers in the area that everyone knows it.

4. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

Because I couldn't help myself ...

"You don't like Cox?"

"No, I love Cox."

"Best conversation ever!"

But seriously, I interviewed at a Cox paper about a year ago, and was really impressed with their operation. It seems like a good company that isn't afraid to spend a little to make a little. And from what I could tell, they will go the extra mile to keep their employees happy.

5. John

John Well-Known Member

I'm not sure everyone in Atlanta would agree with that last line.

6. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

Fair enough. But from what I saw at the paper where I interviewed, that was true.

7. Orange Hat Bobcat

Orange Hat Bobcat Active Member

I will echo the previous sentiments on the chain. I've worked for Cox for almost one year now and have enjoyed almost everything, from the equipment to the benefits to the monthly newsletter that winds up in my office mailbox (it's like being back in school when the latest science magazine arrived! Woo!).

Not everyone moves up within the chain, but it certainly helps.

8. Brookerton

Brookerton Member

I was thinking the same thing.

9. MGoBlue

MGoBlue Member

I work for Cox, and the benefits are excellent. And there is opportunity for advancement. Just avoid the AJC for a while. It is going through a transition and might be some time before it finds its footing again.

There should be sports copy-editing and news copy editing/design openings at the Palm Beach Post posted shortly. A husband (news)-and-wife (sports) team recently left. Keep an eye on the job boards.

10. MilanWall

MilanWall Member

FIRE BOBBY COX AND GET RID OF THAT OVERRATED SKIPPER JONES

11. In Charlotte, there is an International House Of Pancakes on Cox St. Think about that one.

12. beanpole

beanpole Member

Cox is one of the better chains I've worked for.

Draft saved Draft deleted