1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cox selling Palm Beach Post, Austin American-Statesman

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BTExpress, Oct 31, 2017.

1. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

I think Bronco was referring to duplication of management personnel if a couple of the South Florida papers were merged. At this point, management is pretty lean at all of these papers. Not necessarily good, but lean.

2. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

Don't know the exact numbers, but unfortunately there was a fairly significant downsizing carried out at Cox's central desk in West Palm Beach last week, with people learning their fates just days before Christmas. A large portion of the workforce there will be gone by mid-February, and most of the remaining jobs will be eliminated whenever Cox completes the sales of the Palm Beach and Austin papers.

The only "positive" thing is that voluntary severance was available and about 10 people chose to take it, reducing the number of involuntary cuts that had to be made. Two editors from the sports desk who opted for voluntary severance already have landed good jobs elsewhere.

3. zachpm

zachpm New Member

Is there any kind of timetable for these sales?

4. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I don't know but I know Co has tried to sell before. Cox also has enough money that they are not distressed sellers. SO I don't think there is a firm timetable and maybe Cox backs out again. I also think that Austin is more likely to sell. Hearst has been buying up papers adjoining existing markets in Connecticut and Michigan. Hearst owns Houston and San Antonio and I think prints Austin. So they have been thought to be the buyers of Austin.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
  5. Anyone have an update on this? Wondering if Hearst is still considered the frontrunner for Austin. They'd make a ton of sense . . .

6. Bronco77

Haven't heard anything about the South Florida end of the deal. Everyone at first was saying Tronc because of the Sun Sentinel's proximity, but I'm starting to think that isn't going to happen unless negotiations have been uncharacteristically hush-hush. The Sun Sentinel generally leaks like a defective sieve whenever big company news is pending, but it's been very quiet for weeks.

As for Austin, it would be a surprise if it winds up with anyone but Hearst -- makes sense geographically, and I see more potential with the American-Statesman than with the Palm Beach Post, so it should be an easier sell.

7. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Do not count Gatehouse out of the Austin sweepstakes.

Bronco77 and Twirling Time like this.
  8. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

With all the shit GateHouse has put in Austin, I wouldn’t be surprised if they made an offer for the Statesman.

9. Bronco77

I don't count GateHouse out in Austin -- or in Palm Beach (lots of GateHouse properties in Florida). Especially the longer this drags on.

And if that happens, God help those who work at those papers.

InTheKnow22 likes this.
  10. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

I would say that divine intervention is probably already necessary, Gatehouse or no.

11. zachpm

zachpm New Member

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I keep waiting for one newspaper group buying another and then realizing neither has press facilities within 300 miles.

Bronco77 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted