1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cox selling Palm Beach Post, Austin American-Statesman

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BTExpress, Oct 31, 2017.

1. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

Lancey, that has also been my belief. But have they left some of the Florida properties somewhat intact, given the state of the business? I have heard that Sarasota, Gainesville, Jax, et al are not in horrible shape as far as personnel.

2. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

But the financials tell the story.

In the second quarter Gatehouse had revenues of 388.8 million. They were down 4.9% on a same store basis. The company said EBITDA was 49 million. They had interest expense of interest of nine million dollars and paid 22 million dollars in dividends. So that left 17 million. They had capital expenses of three million dollars which is not much for a company that size. That leaves about 15 million dollars that management left in the country. But revenues decline every year. So what happens next year? The company will have to cut some more because they have to pay the debt and they do not want to cut the dividend.

If management was interested in building up the newspaper business they would be investing more in the company and not pulling as much cash out.

3. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

According to this news reports JAX was down to 35-40 editorial staffers. I am not sure if the number reflects the June round of layoffs or not.

Florida Times-Union newsroom staff takes steps to form union | Jax Daily Record | Financial News & Daily Record - Jacksonville, Florida

4. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

5. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Forgive Fredrick for being very dumb. How does Gatehouse have revenues of almost $400 million? Are newspapers actually doing well? That's a lot of money.

6. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Revenue isn’t the number that matters. EBITDA is the number that matters. GateHouse owns 145 daily newspapers. The math suggests that not “a lot of money” at all.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2018
  7. MeanGreenATO

MeanGreenATO Well-Known Member

8. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Great paper, great people to work with.
    What a shame to see Austin go under, too.

9. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

At least there's the Texas Tribune, also based in Austin, which, I hear, is thriving, especially with their coverage on the border crisis.

10. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted