1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Coworker moving south

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BRoth, Sep 5, 2007.

1. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Bingo.

2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

As was said earlier, not being an asshole to the natives is a good idea whenever you move someplace new,

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

It should be a staple at all restaurants. Just as Guinness from the tap should be served in all bars.

4. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Tell the coworker that when offered grits, he'll look really stupid if his response is, "Yeah, I'll have two or three. Thanks for asking."

It's been my experience talking with those from the North (at least, the northeast) that it's customary for everyone in a conversation there to speak at the same time. Polite conversations in the South occur with one person speaking at a time. It's rude to try to talk over someone. Let the other person finish, then take your turn. Won't kill you.

Tell your friend that the first chance he gets to go snipe hunting, to take it. Ditto with cow tipping.

5. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Snipe hunting is awesome.

6. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Definitely. A real treat. The real rednecks always know the best places, too, so the more "country" the better when picking a snipe hunting guide.

7. Kaylee

Kaylee Member

Open drawer.

Take t-shirt.

Place tip of t-shirt sleeve betwixt thumb and forefinger.

Using scissors, cut off the sleeve at armpit level.

Repeat through entire wardrobe.

Acquire tattoo depicting Calvin urinating on Chevy/Ford/Osama Bin Laden/ex girlfriend's name.

Grow shoulder hair.

8. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Oh, good, more stereotypes. ::)

9. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Tell him he needs to learn the use of the word fixin'. I moved to the south a year ago and I still have no idea what the hell it means, but they all use it.
    As someone else said, don't say pop Southerners stare at you blankly when you use that word.
    Also, if he works in sports, tell him to get ready to hear some of the strangest made up words said by coaches. I love transcribing my notes and trying to figure out what some coach just said in his Texas twang.

And to be nice, tell him the people down here really are nice - I am not sure if it is fake or not, but at least they pretend to be nice in public which doesn't happen in the north.
    And the women are pretty, much prettier than in the north. Must be all the sunshine.

10. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Fixin' to = getting ready to/about to

I'm fixin' to get some lunch.

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Whoa ... Texas is not the South. Texas is Texas. It's like a whole other country.

Fixin' = preparing or getting ready as in "I'm fixin' to have a beer."

12. Yes. And Florida is Florida.

Draft saved Draft deleted