1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cowherd: The Sitcom

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Nov 15, 2010.

1. I can't agree more. This is everything wrong with modern America. This is why the terrorists hate us, because they're gonna have to watch this shit, too.

Cowherd is the definitive ratings whore.

2. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

About two months ago or something our local chapter of the ESPN Radio family went belly-up and they fired/laid off all of the local on-air talent and are going to become a radio Disney channel on January 1st.

In the meantime, the channel is 24-7 of just national ESPN radio programming and now that I've had a few months of it here is my observation and I am wondering if it is similar to others....

It sucks. Bad. No, really, really bad.

I mean, Jesus is it bad.

Mike and Mike in the morning is not bad if you can get past all of the nauseating self-congratulatory back slapping that goes on between the two of them.

Then we get Colin Cowherd - please explain why the fuck this guy is that networks star and has his own show. He is awful and he is clueless about anything that does not involve USC and the Pac 10.

Then we get the Scott Van Pelt show, which, if I wanted to make a suggestion to Dick Cheney about how to run torture camps I'd suggest he put them in a room and make them listen to 24 hours of Scott Van Pelt's show. If that doesn't drive them to insanity or suicide than nothing will.

And then as bad as those two shows are, they are nothing compared to the Douchebag Gottlieb show, which is the worst piece of shit I've ever heard.

After that at night it seems like a bunch of random ESPN nerds who are all (1) not clever or insightful (2) not funny and (3) not particularly easy to listen too.

Are they serious? You are the World Wide Leader and this is the best you can do?

My wife thankfully bought me Satellite Radio as an early Christmas present (it is what I asked for) and that has rescued me from having to listen to either this or the equally as awful nonsense that is spewed from the other all-sports station in town.

Am I the only one who finds this lineup to be less than fulfilling?

3. The national selection of ESPN Radio programming is downright awful. If you're in a small to medium sports radio market, you're absolutely screwed. DC is lucky to have local programming on its ESPN station (980 WTEM) from 10 to 7. NPR (WAMU) fills the gaps, and maybe some WTOP.

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Not at all. Spot on.

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

ESPN National Radio is horrifically bad. The station I am at, we dumped ESPN alltogether. Our sister station is a medium sized sports market. We had a 3 hour morning show from 6-9 and a 3 hour drive time show from 3-6, and they told our owner that if they wanted to stay as an ESPN affiliate, they would have to run Mike and Mike in the Morning.

Ownership couldn't have dumped ESPN any faster.

Now, we're a FOXSports Radio affiliate. It is just so bizarre listening to Pat O'Brien on the radio still.

But, I would rather listen to Pat O'Brien fart than listen to anything that has to do with Mike and Mike.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Satellite radio, podcasts and audiobooks have saved me from ever having to listen to sports talk ever again.

8. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Mike and Mike remind me of the later Frank Gifford years on Monday Night Football.

If you are listening, but not really paying attention, then they don't annoy you. But if you actually concentrate, and listen, you discover how incredibly bad, and banal, the talk really is. NOTHING interesting actually said.

Oh and the fat Mike likes to eat. That STILL works for laffs in 2010!!! [/sarcasm]

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Fox Sports Net is really bad. The hosts seem pissed off about something all of the time. It's like hearing two guys bitch about their ex-wives on a cross-country flight.

10. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

It's the equivalent of SPAM on Wonderbread with generic mayo

11. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

Basically, ESPN programming boils down to this:

Mike & Mike: We'll get to last night's 8OT Final Four game and halfcourt shot in a second, but first, the Subway NFL Update...

Cowherd: Know who I'm sick of? That prick John Wall. Worst human I've ever seen in basketball. Lend me your ears for the next 40 minutes.

Scott Van Pelt: Yeah boyyyyyyyy! Wuzza-wuzzup? Tiger, what's his dilly-o?

Gottleib: OK, check out this crazy thing that happened to me. So one time, I was on a flight to Florida. (five minutes later) Yeah, and the peanuts were horrible, I know! Ever wonder about what's wrong with those peanuts? Anyway, so I was on a flight to Florida. (five minutes later) And the planes these days, a lot of them are really cramped. Like, really cramped. Anyway, so I was on a flight to Florida.

12. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Mike and Mike are the Leave It to Beaver of sports talk. Either they're Beaver and Wally or Beaver and Larry Mondello, I just not sure which.

Draft saved Draft deleted