1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cowherd made me throw up...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by GuessWho, Oct 27, 2006.

1. Rufino

Rufino Active Member

As Rokski noted, he's doing Sporting News Radio's 10p to 2a eastern slot. He also does work for a regional TV network in Florida, Pro Football Weekly and the PGA Tour radio network on XM. Jason Smith on his best night can't even remotely approach the quality of Todd's average show. He's cheaper and doesn't try to buck the trend in Bristol, which is what they were looking for.

ESPN Radio's approach to their programming shifted a few years ago when Bruce Gilbert was put in charge. If you listen, you'll notice the only shows they promote are Mike and Mike, Dan Patrick and to a lesser extent the Herd. No effort's made to establish a true personality for the night time stuff. The only thing they care about is making sure any of the ever-changing hosts do some kind of "tease" from one segment to the next. Why you'd give a crap about hanging around to hear John Seibel's "top 5 fantasy picks" for Sunday when the guy's brutal to listen to I don't know, but the suits are convinced if they tease it enough you'll be panting with anticipation.

2. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Well, they don't push an afternoon/evening drive-time host because most affiliates have local programming. Even with the 7-11 p.m. time period, there are a lot of stations broadcasting games. Or the listeners are busy watching games, rather than listening to the radio. Overnight is gravy -- it's the weakest area for advertising revenue, so anything you get is a bonus. But you're not going to get so much revenue that you can make a business case for paying someone big bucks.

Of course, the mistake we all make is thinking that good radio matters first and advertising and business matters second, when it's always been the other way around.

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Hey dudes, spend the $13 a month and buy XM. It will save you all a lot of headaches.

4. SixToedMonroe

SixToedMonroe Member

There's just never a good reason to talk about hockey. I change the channel anytime any sports station starts talking about hockey.

5. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Thanks for checking in, Colin.

6. shotglass

shotglass Guest

But he has a point. If they're talking baseball, football or basketball, the fans of the other sports still have some connection. If the talk turns to hockey, there are a lot of fans out there who just tune out.

I think you can steer away from it without being an ass like Colin, but he does have a reason for it.

7. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

K does not belong in the same sentence with Paterno there.
    Paterno goes out of his way to screw with the media. Shuts down players, makes it hard for assistants to talk, constantly antagonistic.
    None of which is true with Krzyzewski.

8. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I wish I could defend Paterno more than I'd like to admit. The man does a lot of good things.

But I've just watched too many of the Tuesday afternoon MCs, where every question is met with a semi-groan and a condescending answer. I mean, he doesn't even try.

9. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

On the subject of irritating ESPN Radio hosts ...

I actually like Mike and Mike in the Morning for the most part. But why does Greenberg insist on continuously saying "back and better than ever." Even if you are, why be so cocky and say that several times every morning?

Give me TK any day, who ends shows with, "we're try to do better tomorrow."

And just how many guests are termed by Greenberg "the best?" And why the reverent fawning over Bill Curry every time he comes on the show. Many, many interviews end with Greenberg telling the guy, "you're the best." I think he uses the same criteria that Dick Vitale uses to pick the best coaches.

I flip it off every time they do the "stone-cold, lead-pipe locks" because the bit is so stupid. (As an aside, they aren't the only ESPN crew to use that term. Where did the phrase "stone-cold, lead-pipe locks" come from?)

And no, they hardly ever talk hockey either but they're not jerks about it.

Draft saved Draft deleted