1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cowherd made me throw up...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by GuessWho, Oct 27, 2006.

1. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

I end up listening to his show quite a bit, coming back and forth from practices. I can deal with it and occasionally find him amusing/insightful.

What I can't stand is ESPN Radio taking one 10-second clip that is slightly funny and replaying it ad nauseum every commercial break for a month. Yes, Cowherd made fun of a guy who power washes cars and Charles Barkley thinks animals are for eating and wearing. We get it, haha. Just shut up now. Thanks.

2. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Bingo. I want to throttle the bastard every time he threatens a caller with banishment if they think about talking hockey.

I listen to Cowherd driving to work in the morning, but the moment he goes on anti-hockey rants, starts blowing Weis or Pete Carroll or starts fawning over some trivial NFL bullshit, the channel gets changed.

Lately, that's getting more and more prevalent.

The other thing he does that annoys the shite out of me is his constant use of television ratings as a validation for the existence of a given sport, as in NASCAR is superior to hockey because for whatever reason, it draws a better number, or that a World Series of playoff pairings is unwatchable because of the markets involved.

You know something? I don't care if Fox bemoaned a St. Louis-Detroit World Series. Their job is to produce a quality telecast with the teams given to them and STFU. And Cowherd should do the same.

3. RokSki

RokSki New Member

It's true, and it's sad to hear. But he still is good and listenable most of the time. He has Olberman to shake things up and he still gets great guests. But I know what you're saying. He needs to get his fastball back. And listening to him and then going into Kuesilias is like going from the Four Seasons to a $15 / night motel. "Yeahhhh loser!"

4. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Cowherd is such a USC homer (gee, Los Angeles' ESPN station is USC flagship), but I still find him entertaining once in a great while. Patrick and Obermann are good together. Patrick might as well have Phil the Showkiller as a co-host because the two talk back and forth the whole time when it is supposed to be DP alone.

5. Rufino

Rufino Active Member

That's because DP can't be alone. A radio host knows how to improvise and talk off the cuff. Dan's still not a radio host, he's a TV guy who talks on the radio for three hours. With Dibble around, whenever Dan had to fill time without a guest they could make fun of Rob. Now, he's out on an island and it's ugly.

There's a reason they're paying Olbermann to do that hour- the show was unlistenable without someone for DP to play off of. Phil's not good for three hours of material, but he helps a little bit when they can't find a guest.

6. NDub

NDub Guest

Some of Colin's stuff is "Ri-co-lah, Ri-dic-ulous!"

I remember one day when he went on for his entire show about rebuilding New Orleans. It had nothing to do with the Saints, either. He fielded calls and most of his responses to the callers were like what has been mentioned on here - Colin simply made fun of the guy/gal.

7. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Whatever happened to Dibble anyway. I was stuck in a city without ESPN Radio when Dibble left the show. I've yet to find out why he's no longer there. What's the reason?

8. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

See moron, rabid.

9. Rufino

Rufino Active Member

Dibble and Dan were no longer on good terms to the point that Patrick was doing the show from a different studio at times even when they were both in Bristol. ESPN opted not to renew Dibble's contract and let him go from the show about two months before the deal was up. He was going through his divorce that year and his level of preparation for work apparently really went in the toilet.

10. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Whatever happened to Todd Wright?

11. RokSki

RokSki New Member

They didn't renew his contract, I believe. From what I heard (not sure if the info is correct), they didn't want to pay to keep Todd (he'd been on ESPN Radio for like 11 years, so his salary kept rising), so they just cut salary and went with Jason Smith. They did something similar with Chuck Wilson. They liked him, but didn't want to pay to keep him. I think ESPN believes they can just plug in whoever, so they just do so every now and then to cut costs.

Todd Wright is at Sporting News Radio now. Todd's never been my favorite, but he's much more professional at not fawning over, and spending way too much time on, the teams he likes. Jason Smith is as bad as Greenberg: He thinks the whole world wants to talk about the Jets, Mets, and teams populated with former USC players. Smith's not bad, but his homerism crap is unbearable. Got a lot of fanboy in him.

Rufino, you make good points about Patrick. I never really thought about that before, but you're right, he needs to play off of someone. Phil should be the co - host. Good analysis. I like Patrick, but he is a TV guy.

12. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Not to mention Jason Smith's love of the Hurricanes and feeling the need to tell listeners that he helped them win by watching games during their Stanley Cup run while he was naked. He even told players and broadcasters from the team about his naked superstition when he interviewed them.

Having said that, at least somebody at ESPN Radio gives a damn about hockey, which is a good thing.

Todd Wright had this stupid bit where he would throw out a number and his staff would (allegedly because of the number) throw out a topic for him to talk about. He talked hockey and cared about hockey without being a fan.

Draft saved Draft deleted