1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cowherd leaving ESPN

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Jul 16, 2015.

1. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Bruno did mention the polarization of social media and the industry in general as part of the reason he decided to step down. “The modern world of radio and social media has sucked the fun out of doing this due to “factions” whose sole attempt is to provoke “wars” or have listeners “take sides” to anger or distract the process of doing radio every day,” Bruno said.

Hmmm ...

2. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Sounds a bit like sj.com.

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Even more true 3/4 years ago. A lot of people got burned up and burned out.

I think it's better now than it was then. Too politically conservative for my taste, but it reached an odd place a few years back. Too personal.

4. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

You better put your name on that. ;)

5. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

The ESPN weekend show of Tony Bruno-Chuck Wilson-Peter Brown (1993-94-95) is what launched the inspiration to go into sports. I'd listen while I was working my way through college (delivery guy) and that was a '27 Yankees lineup. Irreverent, hilarious.

6. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

And they're all out of the biz now, I think.

Wilson-Bruno-Olbermann were the group when ESPN Radio first signed on, and it was consistently awesome radio IMO.

7. exmediahack

One of the few times I've been star-struck was when I was shooting a Big Ten football game... and Peter Brown was standing next to me, taking pictures for freelance. He had left ESPN by then but, for three hours during all of the breaks in play, we talked about sports radio, his experiences and he really, really shared a lot. Always been a fan.

8. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Never forget when Bruno said he would walk to Syracuse if Syracuse made the Final Four, and then they did.

9. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I just cannot stand to hear Cowherd's voice. It's like nails on a chalkboard to me.

Vombatus likes this.
  10. linotype

linotype Well-Known Member

Completely agreed. I'm not ashamed to admit that I legitimately miss the sound of Chuck Wilson's voice. Total pro.

11. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Are you saying it was some sort of demotion? The reports were that he is getting his own SportsCenter while continuing his golf stuff. Seems like a promotion from doing a midday radio show.

12. exmediahack

Van Pelt is I believe is getting his own SC show that will feel more like a personality-driven show.

Far better than breaking down NBA salary cap space by team with Rusillo.

Not a demotion at all.

Draft saved Draft deleted