1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cowherd leaving ESPN

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Jul 16, 2015.

1. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Tiki Barber is worth listening to...if you want to get drunk between 9 a.m.-noon (EST). So awful. Stumbles over his words (drink)...is bland in interviewing (drink). Inside jokes (drink).
    Just. ugh.

Vombatus likes this.
  2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Along with Simmons, Olbermann and Cowherd, Scott Van Pelt also recently left his radio show and is now doing just SportsCenter and golf.

They're all white guys over the age of 40, which might be a coincidence, and it might not.

3. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Over the last two months, ESPN had announced that a different female would be joining Mike & Mike and Cowherd as a regular contributor.

That wouldn't have an effect on the first show as those two just want their paychecks to keep rolling in and won't rock the boat.

Yet I could see this chapping Cowherd - not necessarily because it's a female but he's a solo act.

Cowherd has been tipping his hand for weeks with all of his interviews with comedians, business people and other non-sports types. This was him showing other executives that he had some other on-air depth. Now it all makes sense.

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

The only thing they share are their large salaries.

5. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Many a joke was e-mailed to Bruno and read on the air back in the day. Fox actually had a pretty good lineup early on with Bruno in the mornings and Szaban evenings from 7-10. Bob Page also helped launch the network and had a pretty good show in evening drive.

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Might be the last. Of the big names.

Is anyone on here regularly watching a TV show with Cowherd and Simmons in the captain's chair?

I guess Beadle could leave, but she did that, and wanted to go right back.

7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

What I fear, deeply, is that a major cut in writers is coming, and I don't mean the avant garde gang on Grantland. The reporters who also write great stuff. When the writing on ESPN is pretty damn good, too.

8. RubberSoul1979

RubberSoul1979 Active Member

Bruno was/is HILARIOUS. Where is he on now?

Remember how Mike Tice, erstwhile Vikings head coach, liked to tuck a pencil behind his ear? When Bruno compared him to an Italian deli clerk ("He looks like he should be taking your order for a pound of gabagool"), I laughed so hard I almost drove off the road.

9. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Not a chance.

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Nowhere.
    He was on a local sports radio station in Philly until a couple of weeks ago, when he decided he'd had enough and quit.

The Innes and Bruno show is over

11. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

From what I saw, he also made numerous appearances on Olbermann

12. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Patrick carved up Cowherd and made it look easy.

Give me Patrick and his show any day. They're laid-back and having fun.

SFIND, JC and JackReacher like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted