1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cowherd leaving ESPN

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Jul 16, 2015.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

2. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

I admit to being surprised. He long talked about those who left ESPN and became irrelevant in their next gig.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

4. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Interesting to see the dominos fall if he lands at Fox Sports. Aside from the early morning show of Mike North and somebody, they seem to be set with Patrick, Risen, Jay Mohr, JT the Brick and Jason whoever in the lineup.

Wouldn't mind seeing JT and Tom Looney out the door, though. They are pretty over the top when it comes to ego vs. talent.

5. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

Dan Patrick a soothsayer?

6. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

So what do they do with Jen Lada now?

7. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

JT is still on? Jesus...

8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Cowherd's long-time executive producer is the new president of Fox Sports. And I imagine he'd prefer to live on the West Coast.

Seems like a no-brainer.

9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

That fox morning show might be the worst I've ever heard.

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  10. exmediahack

FOX has tried to be a player in sports radio but it has never materialized. Espn cornered the market early with affiliates and then strong armed them all - if they don't carry Mike and Mike, they don't get other espn programming.

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Mike and Mike is the best advertisement for listening to podcasts or books on tape in history. That is the most bland, corporate and packaged show. It's perfect ESPN, hour upon hour of milk toast and corp propaganda

sgreenwell likes this.
  12. exmediahack

Fully agree, Abbott. M&M is the worst "high-profile" national talk show, although JT The Brick might not be far off.

We're in a far different place in 2015 than even two years ago. Podcast technology is such that I don't even need traditional radio. I could get my Cowherd fix delayed - I can listen to other shows that are out-of-market a couple of hours late.

If you're a "name" broadcaster, you just need a podcast platform that works. This is where it'll get very interesting -- why take a chance on some unknown when you can always get your "name" shows.

Draft saved Draft deleted