1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cowher quitting

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spnited, Jan 4, 2007.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Not sure they give a damn about hiring a Pittsburgh guy. I hope they are smarter than that. Hard to say though. It has been a very long time since they had to do this.

2. fmrsped

fmrsped Active Member

Attention Browns fans: Your team sucks. The franchise is in shambles. Bill Cowher will not coach your team in 2008.

Be thankful Romeo Crennel took the reins and is being made the scapegoat.

http://papacass.blogspot.com/2007/01/wherefore-art-thou-romeo.html

And no, I'm not Erik, who is a far better writer than I.

3. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Thanks, Erik.

4. fmrsped

fmrsped Active Member

I knew I could count on someone to say it anyway.

5. I don't know, I still think it's whiz's job. Don't forget that Whiz was offered the Raiders job last year and didn't take it. Could have been because he knew how bad the job was, or could be because he had a talk with Cowher. Either way, it's a sad day in Pittsburgh sports history. When Noll left, he went out during some lean years. Cowher, despite an 8-8 season, went out flying pretty high. It's tough, coming from a guy who, as stated earlier, is going to see only his third coach during his lifetime in Pittsburgh.

6. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Unlike most fanboy loosers, I'm indifferent when it comes to Cowher.

Part of me will miss the spittle, the jaw, and the unintentionally hilarious staredowns he gave during post-game pressers.

The other part, for all of Cowher's successes, feels he should have done more. That "One for the Thumb" doesn't erase his prior failures -- 1-4 in home AFC Championship games -- in my book.

7. tommyp

tommyp Member

You might want to consider Cowher as the next coach of the Giants. Makes sense...one of his daughters goes to Princeton.

8. outofplace

To me, it comes down to the same thought I had when his job was supposedly in trouble a few years ago -- who is going to replace him?

Given the choice between Cowher and either Grimm, Whisenhunt, Rivera or whatever other candidate you want to throw in there, I'd much rather have Cowher. It does mean something that his teams are rarely out of contention and that they have played in six AFC Championship games in 15 seasons.

It's not like when Noll retired. As beloved and respected as Noll was in Pittsburgh, it was time for him to go. I remember meeting Noll a couple of years after he retired and he seemed to be loving life outside the game and very much at peace. Cowher, on the other hand, is leaving Pittsburgh with a lot more left in the tank.

9. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

If it's all about the divorce -- if those rumors are true, that would fill in a few pieces of a half-busted puzzle -- then it is sad he's leaving.

10. outofplace

He has two daughters at Princeton, both on the women's basketball team. If you check on their website, it looks like the younger one has his chin (poor kid).

11. I don't Whizz gets the job.
    I really think his style goes completely against the grain of traditional Pittsburgh football. The Steelers have used big running backs and a power run game for over 30 years. I don't see the Whizz maintaining that philosophy. Do the Rooneys want to scrap such a successful formula in favor of something new?
    I don't know.
    Quite frankly, (as a total fanboy) I have complete trust in the Rooney's decision to hire a coach. If they decide Matt Millen should be the next coach, I could swallow it, because I trust them.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

That was my exact thought when I heard the divorce rumors. The whole wife and child moving to NC didn't make much sense to me.

Draft saved Draft deleted