1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cowher quitting

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spnited, Jan 4, 2007.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

Steelers have scheduled presser for tomorrow to announce Cowher's resignation

2. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Well, that sucks. Guess I better prepare for the third Steelers coach in my lifetime.

3. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Incredible.

4. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Good. Fuck him.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Seems people are expecting his wife to file for divorce in the coming months. By taking a year off and then returning to coaching after the settlement, he'll save a ton of money.

Shame he has to leave the Steelers to pull that off. If true.

6. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Don't worry, he'll come back to coach the Seahawks soon enough.

And Inky, that's interesting. I had not heard that rumor yet.

7. May not matter regarding current assets, but if he could say he's currently unemployed, it likely will reduce the alimony payments.

8. Lack of income is lack of income, I suppose. I'm just spitballing here; I have no knowledge of Pennsylvania divorce laws.

9. Cowher and his wife have had problems, seems she could never accept his career required long hours. There were rumors two years ago about old Billy having an affair but no one in Pittsburgh with a career to uphold was willing to investigate it.

PG's Ed Bouchette believes Russ Grimm is the lead candidate according to his people and co-worker Gerry Dulac said tonight on Fox Sports Pittsburgh that Ken Whisenhunt was the main guy. If today's interview for Whisenhunt went well in Atlanta, it is possible Whiz called Cowher to gauge where he was learning towards since he's already an established commodity for the Rooney's and Pittsburgh.

Do not expect the usual long drawn out interview process in Pittsburgh, Whisenhunt or Grimm could be named Cowher's successor as early as tomorrow but more likely by next Tuesday or Wednesday. The Rooney family must adhere to the NFL rule named after Dan Rooney and interview minority candidates.

I would expect NY Giants Defensive Coordinator Tim Lewis, Chicago Bears Defensive Coordinator Ron Rivera and Minnesota Vikings Defensive Coordinator Mike Tomlin receive consideration for the opening but how open and honest of a process is debatable considering they have two strong candidates in-house.

There will be criticism for sure in NFL circles if the Steelers do not hire a minority.

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I believe if Cowher signed a new contract while married, she'd be entitled to half since the contract was signed before the divorce or legal separation. Anything he does post-divorce is all his.

11. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Shouldn't be that hard to track down Cowher's mistress. She's the one drenched in spittle.

12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

It's amazing the franchise has had only two coaches in 30-odd years. And I think it's kinda chicken of Cowher to bail now, especially when any other organization would have dumped him earlier in the decade when the Steelers were struggling, but that's not the Steelers way. But for him to retire/take a year off then likely come back with another organization next year or in 2009 doesn't look good.

Draft saved Draft deleted