1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cowher, back to Pittsburgh?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Jeff_Rake, Jan 10, 2007.

1. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Your recall of the Bradshaw incident is not correct. That happened in 1973, before any of the SBs and when there was a Bradshaw-Terry Hanratty QB controversy. It's referenced in Roy Blount's book, which was published in 1974. Bradshaw really didn't become a force until the NFL opened up passing around 1977. Take a look at Steelers stats and how infrequently they threw the ball in their first two SB seasons. Franco Harris was much more important than Bradshaw was then.

2. Smasher_Sloan

WTF? If you're taking over a team that was 1-15, it probably didn't have the best coaching and it may well have had injury problems.

3. Dessens71

Dessens71 Member

This Cowher worship is nauseating.
    First of all, he left Pittsburgh voluntarily. Unless you buy this wanting-to-spend-time-with-my-family crap, he left either because he wanted more money or because he didn't want to coach in Pittsburgh anymore for some other, unknown reason. There's no reason to think either of those situations will change. He'll never go back to Pittsburgh.
    Second, Cowher's reputation is stronger around the league than it is among most Steelers fans. He is criticized as much or more for losing four AFC championship games at home as he is lauded for winning a Super Bowl.

4. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

As far as Washington goes, doesn't Gregg Williams have a provision in his deal where The Midget has to pay him several million if he doesn't succeed Gibbs? I'm pretty sure he got something like that when Minnesota was hot after him after last season.

5. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Once again, your pompous attitude shows your true colors.

Kotite was a hideous coach. He turned a solid Philadelphia team into a laughingstock. Of course, losing Reggie White didn't help matters, either.

Richie Kotite couldn't coach his way out of a paper bag. To say that Parcells' job in 1997 was miraculous was bull, because the pieces were in place in 1996, as well.

6. I guess you are a member of Bill Cowher's family, so you can discard him wanting some time away with his family as a crap excuse, but are so sure there was other reasons he wanted out. I'm sure he wanted more money, but as far as not wantign to coach in his hometown anymore, he spent 15 friggen seasons there, if he didn't like the town or the organization, I'm thinking he would have left by now. I don't think he would return to the franchise, but not because of any of the reasons you have shown.

There are a handful of irrational Steelers fans who wanted Cowher out because of the lack of championships, but I certainly wouldn't classify it as "most" Steeler fans. You will find just as many fans of other franchises, especially within the division, who think the same about Cowher. When it's all said and done, he's a Hall of Fame coach. Returning to Pittsburgh, or not, will have nothing to do with said fans.

7. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Talk-show-caller reputation and reality reputation are two distinct items.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

No, it happened again in the early '80s.

I am well aware that Bradshaw was booed quite a bit by Steelers fans early in his career. He wasn't even the full-time starter until mid-way through the 1974 season.

Even after they won a Super Bowl there were some irrational fans that still wanted Hanratty at quarterback because he was a local boy (from Butler, PA). Though it was Joe Gilliam who was the legitimate threat to Bradshaw's starting job, not Hanratty, and it was Gilliam who started early in the '74 season.

And I know Bradshaw didn't really blossom until the NFL rule changes opened up the passing game.The Steelers were a big reason for those rules, particularly Mel Blount, who was dominating when he was allowed to beat up receivers all over the field. The Steelers adapted and Noll finally let Bradshaw and his two Hall of Fame receivers cut loose.

9. Smasher_Sloan

Let's see....the team's winning percentage went from .063 to .750 under Parcells in two years. But "the pieces were in place" in 1996, even though Parcells found the need to add a new QB (Vinny Testaverde), RB (Curtis Martin) and several key defensive players (Bryan Cox, Pepper Johnson, James Farrior).

BTW, that "couldn't coach his way out of a paper bag" line is <i>sweet.</i> You mind if I use that sometime?

10. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

It's official -- you're a flaming asshole.

11. Smasher_Sloan

(Says the guy (?) who recently posted the contents of a PM I sent him).

Sigh.

Sweet talk will get you nowhere, honey.

12. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Keep whining. Everyone needed to see how much of an ass you are. If a simple comment sent you off the handle that much, I'd hate to see you when you're really angry.

Thanks, dear. You now join the illustrious Columbo and Tom Petty as other first-rate trolls. And I have a new fan, apparently.

Draft saved Draft deleted