1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cowher, back to Pittsburgh?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Jeff_Rake, Jan 10, 2007.

1. Almost_Famous

Almost_Famous Active Member

Ummm, not sure. Was just throwing shit up. They were a Super Bowl fave of many. If that happens again (no playoffs) ... why not? Cowher will be living in Carolina, right?

As for Pittsburgh, i'll give you 2:1 for $100 that Cowher doesn't go back there as his next gig. We can do this via paypal if you like, as long as you don't give up the information as to who i am.

2. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

"Badger Bob" Johnson will be back before Cowher.

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

It'd be the Browns, if it weren't the same division.

And it won't be KC unless the Chiefs go 3-13 or something. Or go 6-10 and drop two to the Raiders.

My money is on where the money would be. And that's in Washington, when Joe Gibbs walks for a second time after next year.

4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Two reasons:
    1) The run to the Super Bowl in '03.
    2) His ability to recover from a 1-7 start - with 14 players on injured reserve - to finish 7-9.

On paper, I don't expect people to understand just how good he was in '04. It was better coaching than he did in '03. But it would take a Seifert-like unraveling for him to get booted in Charlotte. That won't happen under John Fox.

5. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

He might not get booted, but I wonder whether he would eye the Giants job with all of his connections there at this same time next year, should Coughlin get fired. That's the one way I see Cowher landing with the Panthers.

6. DrewWilson

DrewWilson Member

how about Cowher to the Redskins when Gibbs retires? We all know money is thrown around there

7. tommyp

tommyp Member

One thing seems clear: he won't be back in Pittsburgh.

8. Here's my take on it, and the more I think about it, the more I think it will happen, even if they are in the same division as the Steelers. Cleveland retained Romeo Crennel this week, and I got to thinking that they stuck with him this season, after firing most of his staff, knowing he isn't the long-term answer, but he can fill the spot so they could potentially make a push for Cowher after his contract is up. They know Cowher is an emotional man with ties to Cleveland (played there and coached there), which weighs in their favor. Plus, I'm sure he want's to do things his way, and Cleveland needs rebuilt from the ground up. I'm pretty sure after seeing his steelers-led teams beat up on the Browns for the better part fo the past decade, they will give him anything. Maybe he will see this as a project, of sorts, and use it to potentially answer all critics if he gets them turned around. Cleveland is very much like Pittsburgh as cities and fan-base goes, the people are blue-collar, and Cowher would get his shot at starting from the ground up. Plus, I don't think the coaches take the rivalry thing as seriously as the fans do, so going to a long-time division rival wouldn't weigh as heavily as some would think.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I'd pay money to see that...

But Cowher won't be back...

10. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Cowher may like money, but he ain't stupid. He's not coaching in Cleveland. Never.

Why come back to the NFL? Your legacy is intact, and you left less than a year after winning the Super Bowl.

11. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

As a Pittsburgh kid and the Steelers coach for 15 seasons, I don't see Cowher wasting the goodwill from his hometown to make a few dollars for the Browns when he could sign anywhere in the NFL.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Maybe becuase he is only 49 years old and he's not ready to stay retired yet?

Draft saved Draft deleted