1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cowher, back to Pittsburgh?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Jeff_Rake, Jan 10, 2007.

1. Jeff_Rake

Jeff_Rake Member

When Bill Cowher finally decides to come back to the NFL -- let's assume somewhere between 2008 and 2010 -- shouldn't the Steelers consider bringing him back? The way it looks, the Steelers will probably hire within, and from what I understand, Ken Whisenhunt appears to be the leading (and deserving) candidate. But wouldn't it make sense if they just brought back Cowher, regardless of what the next coach does?

Wouldn't you feel better as an owner, knowing that you could possibly retain

a) the class act of the league
    b) a coach that has been to 6 AFC Championship games
    c) a coach that got you "one for the thumb."

I know it's unfair to Whisenhunt, or whoever the next coach might be -- but doesn't it seem that that would be best fit for the franchise, assuming Cowher would be willing to sign a multi-year deal? It doesn't seem ethical, and Cowher may not even consider coming back to Pittsburgh (and replacing a former assistant who finally got a chance) ... but wouldn't it be great to see it happen; and thus leaving hopeful NY Giants fans with a Tom-Coughlin-sized frown on their faces?

2. Chef

Chef Active Member

3. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

No, he'll go somewhere else and get paid MUCH more than he'd get paid in Pittsburgh.

4. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Why would Carolina drive Fox out?

5. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Probably wouldn't. It's at least plausible, though, that he could be the Giants' coach in 2008 if Coughlin spits the bit this year.

6. Angola!

Angola! Guest

How much longer does Holmgren have on his contract?
    Also, which franchises would conceivably throw large sums of money at him to coach there? Houston, Arizona, Oakland. Anymore?

7. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

With a change in attitude with Lamar Hunt's death, maybe they can him in two seasons. Doubtful, though.

8. Parcells only has one year left. How about Cowher to the Cowboys?

9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Cowher to the Bengals, when Marvin leaves to coach the Jailblazers

10. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

With Jerry Jones? I can't see it.

I could see him as a Bears coach. Maybe Packers.

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Sweet Franco's Afro, anything but that ... or the Browns, Ravens or Bengals.

12. Almost_Famous

Almost_Famous Active Member

If Carolina tanks, why not there?

Draft saved Draft deleted