1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cowboys Stadium ain't in Dallas ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by doctorquant, Nov 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

I booked a flight to Cincinnati and found myself in Kentucky, of all places.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

The airport IS called Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky International Airport.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

They wanted to put you closer to the ponies, tri.

4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

The Tennessee Titans are a sinking ship, so there's that.

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I love seeing lots of shots of the Hollywood sign when NASCAR heads to Fontucky ... which is 60 miles east of L.A..

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

the dodgers don't actually play in brooklyn.

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Atlanta Motor Speedway is in Hampton, Ga. ... 30 miles south of Atlanta.

8. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I wanna play. Charlotte Motor Speedway is in Concord, but they can't call it the Concord Motor Speedway, because there is a Concord Speedway...which is in Midland.

9. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

The Indianapolis Motor Speedway is, of course, located in Speedway, Ind.

10. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Noticed this a couple of months ago: Phoenix-Mesa Gateway Airport is directly across the street from Chandler-Gilbert Community College.

11. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

The racetrack ones are kind of interesting cases, to which I would add Talladega, which is actually located in Lincoln, AL. But, honestly, the Cowboys Stadium bit is ridiculous. Suppose they had built Target Field in St. Paul rather than Minneapolis. Would it be kosher, journalistically, to do a story on an event there and refer to the location as "Target Field in Minneapolis"?

A bit of geography here clarifies things, too. Arlington (pop. 365,000) is the 50th largest city in the U.S. (bigger than Anaheim, BTW), and it's 15 to 20 miles from the Dallas County line. I don't really care anything about the "credit," but I do believe that reporting Cowboys Stadium as being in Dallas is really sloppy journalistically.

12. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

I would also like to point out that the Tampa Bay Lightening, Tampa Bay Buccaneers and Tampa Bay Rays actually play on dry land and not, as their names would suggest, on a body of water.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.