1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cowboys Stadium ain't in Dallas ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by doctorquant, Nov 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

To a larger point ... 60 Minutes just sucks now. Back in the day few sports stories and personalities had the gravitas to make the cut on TV's best newsmagazine. If they did, the pieces were fantastic.

In the last few weeks alone they've had Aaron Rodgers and Shahid Khan. Gimme a break.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Don't schools/conferences put in a bid to host these events? The NCAA doesn't just assign the host, right?

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

That's easy.

The Quad Cities in IA/IL are made up of five cities.

4. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I think they do, but it seems to be largely a formality in the case of men's or women's basketball.

5. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I don't think it is just a formality. I believe the host entity has to commit a considerable amount of time, manpower and perhaps money as well in putting the event together. While UTA has a very large enrollment, its athletic department is decidedly small-time (though it is gradually moving up, thanks to finally getting a new arena and other improvements) and has neither the time nor the manpower -- and certainly not the money, if that is part of the deal -- to put on an event of that size and scope.

6. doctorquant

I just don't know, and try as I might I can't seem to find out. I'm pretty sure a 1st/2nd-rounder or a regional final in men's or women's basketball is unlike other events. For example, were UTA to make it to the dance, it would be prohibited from playing in that regional for what would likely be its only game. And I don't think there is any money guarantee a la baseball or softball regionals, because a 1st/2nd-rounder or a regional final (for the men) is a guaranteed pile o' cash. As regards the manpower commitment, I can't see that a UTA would be any less capable than, say, Oakland University (host of a regional at Auburn Hills, Mich., this coming spring). But, again, I may be operating in too much of a fog of ignorance here.

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Jed Clampett scoffs.

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Speaking of Cowboys Stadium ... what's the point of having a retractable roof if it is never open?

Of course, Jerry Jones does strike me as the type who'd buy a convertible and never put the top down.

9. doctorquant

It was open yesterday. Will probably be open on Thursday.

10. da man

da man Well-Known Member

It's been open for both of the last two home games, as were the giant retractable glass doors on either end.

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Really? I've seen 70-degree days where it was closed. I'm a little shocked.

12. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I was a little surprised everything was open yesterday -- game-time temperature was announced at 56 degrees, and it was overcast at times. The sun ended up coming out and it was apparently pretty comfortable most of the day (says the guy who spent the afternoon in the mostly glassed-in press box).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.