1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cowboys Stadium ain't in Dallas ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by doctorquant, Nov 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Oh, the Ballpark's not even a mile away. In fact, some Cowboys season-ticket holders have their assigned parking in Rangers lots. Jerry keeps the video boards going year 'round, and on summer nights you can stand on the upper concourses at the Ballpark and see into the JerryDome. But the Ballpark is east of (i.e., closer to Dallas than) Cowboys Stadium.

2. And Greater Cincinnati Airport is in Boone County, Ky.

IJAG is right about Dallas and Fort Worth residents being particular. I once interviewed for a job with a Fort Worth PR firm and mentioned to the owner that I had moved to the Dallas-Fort Worth area several years prior. He corrected me in mid-sentence with "Fort Worth-Dallas area." (P.S. He still offered me the job.)

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

That works.

4. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Red Bank Regional High School is in Little Silver.

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

While I agree of course with calls for accuracy, perhaps the remedy for both Ft. Worth and Arlington is to secede from the Metroplex.

6. da man

da man Well-Known Member

The "Metroplex" -- I hate that ridiculous Chamber of Commerce-generated term -- covers an enormous area. It's at least a two-hour drive from, say, McKinney on the northeast end to, say, Aledo in the southwest.

The Dallas vs. Fort Worth divide is very real, although the rivalry seems to exist more on the FW end. As someone noted earlier, the Star-Telegram does not refer to the Dallas-Fort Worth area -- it's the Fort Worth-Dallas area. FW is "Where the West Begins," implying that those Easterners over in Dallas are merely pretenders.

As for the stadium, it always drove me crazy that when they were pushing for the tax increase to build the stadium, one of the proponents' arguments was that it would raise Arlington's national profile because the city's name would be out there every time the stadium was mentioned, and people would be talking all season about the Super Bowl in Arlington. Then, as now, my answer to that was, uh... no. Invariably, the media and fans were talking about the big game in the Big D. Very rarely does Arlington get mentioned. Most of the time, people say their team is playing "in Dallas."

7. inthesuburbs

inthesuburbs Member

And Gillette Stadium is in Foxborough, not Foxboro.

And Columbine High School still isn't in Littleton, Colo. (It's not even in the same county as Littleton.)

8. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

My favorite Cowboys Stadium story is from its first year. The football team at McNeese State University, in Lake Charles, La., plays in Cowboy Stadium. It seats about 17,000 and change. During the 2009 season, one of the major sports websites had a college football schedule that listed the Big 12 Championship Game as being scheduled for Cowboy Stadium, Lake Charles, LA. Some other websites repeated the error, even a few days before the game.

Now, that's getting it wrong.

I think this guy knew what was going on. I think.

http://simononsports.blogspot.com/2009/12/get-ready-for-classic-big-12-showdown.html

Not as confident about these guys.

http://blog.gamblerspalace.com/ncaa-week-14-texas-vs-nebraska-odds-and-predictions/

9. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

There's actually a more historically relevant reason for the rivalry (and that phrasing, which was by Will Rogers: "Fort Worth is where the West begins and Dallas is where the East peters out."). When Dallas emerged as an economic hub it was tied much more closely with eastern markets. Fort Worth, on the other hand, had a much more westward business orientation.

This year's South Regional final will be held at Cowboys Stadium, not two miles from Division I (and WAC) member UT-Arlington (enrollment approx. 35,000). Host of the event? The Big 12 Conference. Same a year from now, when the Final Four will be held there. Now I know that this hold "host" bit doesn't matter all that much. But it still pisses me off, because plenty of first-round and regional finals are hosted by schools with similarly modest profiles.

10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

The Tri Cities in Tenn./Va. are made up of four cities. Top that.

11. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Hell is in Michigan.

12. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

And dixiehack says you actually have three gloves.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.