1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cowboys reporter out here spiking footballs of her own.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BitterYoungMatador2, Sep 13, 2022.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Teleram (of the Portabubble) went out of business in part because of the greatness of the Trash 80 (and offerings by IBM).

2. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Like Thor's hammer.

OscarMadison likes this.
  3. Fdufta

Fdufta Member

Mavis Beacon

4. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Just to get back to this…

When I started wading through this thread, my first reaction was that it’s 2022 and let’s lay off the clothes/looks/speaks shit because she is a woman.

Then I looked up DT201 or what ever that is…

It’s literally pushing hot women talking sports. I hope she gets a better gig before she ages out of that job. That’s horrible to say, but that’s the course she chose to play and this is where the ball lies.

And, a few thousand Twitter followers and 20,000 Insta followers at 201 isn’t making it. It just makes you one of the 950 people on an NFL sideline. Best of luck getting the long snapper’s thoughts on the game.

Everything about this just sucks.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I have extremely horrible handwriting, and learning cursive was a horror. In elementary school, I would gets Ds and D-minuses in handwriting. It’s just how I’m wired. If I was a student today, they would have given me a laptop and called it a day.

My school offered a typing class with typewriters, but for juniors and seniors. My handwriting was so lousy, my mother persuaded the school to let me take the class as an eighth grader. I was kinda reluctant to do so because I was losing a study hall, but my Mom was persistent.

It was pretty difficult taking the class as I was much younger than the upperclassmen, but I got through it.

My parents got me an electric typewriter for my bar mitzvah gift. I hated using it because half the time, the correction key would only erase half the letter and because I was a sucky typist. I used it through my first semester in college, when I got a Brother word processor. That thing took me through school and through the 90s in my first two gigs.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2022
  6. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

I, too, got a Smith-Corona electric when I was 13. Broke it last weekend senior year in college, when I also broke a borrowed electric AND an IBM Selectric pounding out those last term papers with my two-finger typing.

maumann likes this.
  7. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

I got a Brother when I went away to college in 1993. I thought that thing was the fucking shit for a semester. I could see five screens worth of text? And save my essays on a disk? Then I got entrenched at the school paper and just started writing all my papers on our Apples there. Then I realized the Brother word processor was just fucking shit. :D

TigerVols, dixiehack, maumann and 2 others like this.
  8. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

This was my high school graduation present. It cost $400 and you could switch out color ink cartridges AND an erase cartridge with the push of a button.

[​IMG]

It was stolen out of my car about the time I landed my first full-time radio job. What a beautiful machine.

OscarMadison likes this.
  9. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

What the hell is a "half space"?

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

The half-space key is used if you typed a word and accidentally omitted a letter --- but didn't notice it until you typed another word after it. You would first erase the word, then use half space after the preceding word and before the following word to squeeze the corrected word in.

God, I'm old.

11. Typist Clerk

Typist Clerk Active Member

Wow. Kerning on paper. I'd do it manually and it always was a kludge.

OscarMadison and maumann like this.
  12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Two things:

-Guidance counseling assignments should be sorted by student desire/interest/path, not the alphabet.

-Inartful as it may have been, I understand this woman's emphasis on work ethic in lieu of doing well in academics. Being there - showing up, working hard - is something she can do, that anyone can do. And I can appreciate the "don't give your soul to a company" thing, too, that often comes with looking back and wishing this or that. But that's precisely how some people get "ahead," get better jobs, buy houses, pay for kids' colleges, etc. Even in journalism.

The "quality and balance of life" thing is terrific, great, good. It's hard, if you don't come from money - if your parents aren't burning through their money in residual guilt to their children - to just fall into success via natural likability or the lucky mercy of others. If there's any particular message America has gotten far too good at expressing since the Reagan era, it's: Count. On. No. One. It's created a society of real jackals, too.

Draft saved Draft deleted