1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cowboys practice field roof collapses

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Football_Bat, May 2, 2009.

1. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Now AP is reporting that the Cowboys coach who was injured, has a broken vertebrae in his back and is "lucky" not to have been paralyzed.

2. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

Sonuvabitch.

This sucks.

I saw Todd Archer was indirectly quoted on AOL so I guess he's OK. I hope everybody is.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

AP story quoted Archer, who came out with only a couple of scrapes. That's meta.

4. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Cowboys collapse in December, practice facility collapses in May.

5. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I briefly thought about using a variation of that in my headline, until I found out how badly injured the coach was.

6. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

Archer's column: http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/columnists/tarcher/stories/050309dnspoarcher.3e2a5d1.html

An FWST guy describes the scene: http://www.star-telegram.com/332/story/1354358.html

I'm still a little unnerved by this, given the amount of time I spent in that facility. Apparently a "microburst," or 60 mph winds and rain almost straight down, cause the collapse.

7. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

Jones was in Louisville, trying to double up on some pocket change to make a new stadium payment. Bet on it.

8. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Watching that footage, just glad there's as few injuries as there were.

Not in any way questioning anyone involved, but if you're a TV cameraman in something like this, is there a point at which you put down the camera and help make sure there's nobody seriously injured? I know you're there for a reason professionally, but just wondering what the thought process is.

9. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

As a former TV photog...

Yeah, there's a point when you would do that, but this wasn't it. For me it essentially boils down to "Do they really need my help right now?"

If I'm shooting a house fire and a woman appears on the second floor with a baby, I'm putting down the camera and catching the baby. If a fabric roof collapses in a storm and I'm surrounded by professional football players trying to figure out what they should do, I'm still rolling.

I guess if I feel that things will be made worse by my failure to help, I'll help. Thankfully, I never found myself in that position.

10. why?

11. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

12. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

That. Sucks. :(

Draft saved Draft deleted