1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Covering prep sports - with a child on the team

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by RacerExaminer, Mar 8, 2013.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

That's bullshit, one of those pitches he took was strike three and then the hit was an error :)

Kidding. I am not a huge fan of the setup, but I have been convinced that given the staffing limitations and other workplace and community factors, it can be managed.

2. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

If you're a professional, it's a huge conflict of interest, small market or major metro it doesn't matter. Stop immediately.

Your first story is a clear example why this is simply not tolerated at professionally operated newspapers.

If you're not a professional, cover them all you want. Your credibility will be worthless, but then again, you're not a professional so it won't matter.

3. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

He obviously doesn't care, because he has continued to report on his kid's team. He had his mind made up before he came on here looking for a pat on the back.

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Doc,

I think that's a decision that's gotta be made by higherups. If you're the one-man department at a small paper, do you just up and quit covering stuff the day your kid makes varsity? Do you tell your kid he's not allowed to play varsity because you have a job to do and that creates a conflict?

Hell, how many adults COACH their own kid at the prep (or even college) level? Is that not a conflict of interest --- or least potential conflict of interest --- just as great or greater?

I would go have a talk with my supervisor and explain the situation and also tell him/her what my preference is and be prepared to live with the decision.

5. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

A few years back there was one of the small papers near here that had a one-man sports staff. There was one high school in town for them to cover. The sports editor's brother was the boys head basketball coach.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If you cover the team you kid plays on, it's a conflict of interest. It doesn't matter how fair you appear to be, it's a conflict of interest.

That's kind of the definition of a conflict of interest. It's the appearance of bias that's the problem.

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I suspect that is quite common.

8. SnarkShark

In this case, the paper has another reporter that could handle the team that has the reporter's kid on it. It's a simple solution, but he wants to watch his kid play and also wants to be a sports writer. The point Doc was making is that if he was a professional, he would pick one or the other.

9. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

Not according to some of these young, gung ho types that have never lived and worked in a small town. They just wouldn't cover boys basketball. "Sorry readers, it would be a conflict of interest."

10. SnarkShark

You must be a great journalist with all those assumptions.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

It's a conflict of interest.

I am not saying you shouldn't cover the team (although if you can find anyone else to cover games involving relatives that would be ideal).

But you can't act like it's not a conflict because you are being fair. It's still a conflict.

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I haven't read this whole thread but this is pretty simple, isn't it? This should be a no-brainer on any level of journalism.

No, no, no. You can't do it. You can't even think about doing it.

No. Don't alibi, don't think of reasons why you can make it work.

Don't do it.

Draft saved Draft deleted