1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Covering one round of a Champions Tour event

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HejiraHenry, May 8, 2009.

1. accguy

accguy Member

Birdscribe,

The smart ones out there are great because they realize that they are sooooooo stealing money.

The courses are set up so they can make birdies. Most weeks there isn't a cut. It's free money.

But there are still some dicks out there - cough, Tom Kite, cough - but most of them are pretty good.

2. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

with players I know, I like to walk at least a few holes with their wife or family members or buddies and get some insight that way. Lots of times they are more forthcoming about stuff the player wouldn't even think to tell you after a round or you wouldn't think to ask.
    Bird is right -- the old guys are pretty media friendly, except for a few that I've encountered who were total a--holes.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

We almost did this story one year when the Tour stopped in Richmond. It hasn't done so in years.
    We're flipping through the media guide and we were amazed at how many players had like 6-7 kids. Four or five were adults, the others were toddlers. Their wives were about 30.
    All those guys are on Cloud Nine for reasons accguy noted. Someone came up with a plan to let them play golf again and, without much trouble, winning more money than they made back in the day. Many of them chucked the old life and started fresh - amazing.

accguy is also correct in that some assclowns remain (Tom Kite is still that way?) but, for the most part, these guys were incredibly easy to deal with - why not? They were rich again and their wives were about the same age as their eldest daughters.

Hell, ask dude if you can caddy for him.

4. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

With my schedule right now, it's like using a wedge to split a log, more than the (unintended but appropriate) golf metaphor.

5. HejiraHenry

You're just hitting on the hot golf wives. I know your M.O.

6. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

HH; Seriously, one word of caution---don't even think about pulling out your tape recorder inside the locker room. It's against posted PGA Tour rules, and they will enforce it. Trust me. I did it one time when the player I was interviewing insisted we use it (he knew I much preferred it) and he insisted on holding it himself, but I still got my butt chewed royally by a tour guide when a security guard squealed on me.

7. HejiraHenry

Thanks for the tip, but I'll try real hard to stay out of the locker room.

8. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Tom Kite? Really? My dealings with him have always been cordial.

A certain PGA champion from Virginia who used to be a CBS commentator was a lot more difficult. So was a two-time U.S. Open champion from the late 80s who used to be an ABC commentator, but he's mellowed in my (very) limited dealings with him of late.

Generally, as you aptly pointed out, these guys are enjoying life's best mulligan, so they're not going to upset it -- especially in this economy.

Draft saved Draft deleted